SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: new here! got some questions about my sl500...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Question new here! got some questions about my sl500...

hello everyone! how are you guys doing?

I picked up an 2006 sl500 a while back...

I have yet to use any of the features it has... some help would be much appreciate

I've been told the key can start the car, open/close the windows and the top... true?

I also cannot set the blutooth on the damn thing.. any ideas?

any cool stuff the car can do?

I also heard I can have the shop set it up where the car can go much lower than what that button on the console does..

accessories:
-what brand rims would you recommend?
-I want to place a lip on the trunk.. any recommendations?
-most importantly.. exhaust.. what brand? anywhere I can here some of them?

thank you guys in advanced for all your help

Old 07-03-2009, 12:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 SL550
The key will open/close the roof. You need to be within about 10 feet of the door, point the key like an IR remote at the door handle, and continually press either the open or close button. A popular modification is the Smartop Module. With this, you can open/close the top with a single press of the interior switch (no need to hold it), open/close the top using the RF transmitter in the remote (works out to about 150', no line of sight needed), open/close while moving (up to a user-set programmable speed), close while you're exiting the car and with the key out, add audible confirmations to lock/unlock, and a few more features. Recommended, about $300 and user-installable.

Lowering the car is pretty easy and can be done at least 3 ways: have the dealer program it with the STAR system; by an aftermarket electronic box, or install a set of "lowering links". The later is popular and inexpensive.

Bluetooth on your model requires a bluetooth adapter in the center console. Does your car have the hands-free connector installed? Look in the top section of the console for a plug in the center. If you have this, add a bluetooth adapter for about $300 and you're good to go. If you do have the adapter, let us know and I'll post instructions for pairing your phone (hint, the pin code is MBUSA). If you don't have this, it's closer to $1500 and requires dealer installation and programming (though your model *is* "pre-wired" for this).

Can't help you on the lip/exhaust. Be cautious with aftermarket rims. I've found the car is very sensitive to tire balance, and at least 2 sets of good aftermarket rims on my car still gave vibrations at speed, even after road force balancing. I'd suggest staying with OEM Mercedes rims on this car if you can live with that.

Last edited by diablo2112; 07-03-2009 at 12:43 AM.