SL/R230: Broken FLAP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
Broken FLAP

Recently when my car was in for service they replaced the two flaps on the trunk lid, I noticed that the new flap made a snapping sound when it extended while putting the top down. I noticed the other day that it was not ending up flush with the trunk lid like the passenger side one was, then on friday when putting the top down, the operation stopped about mid way. I got out and looked and noticed the drivers side flap was hanging down and not up like the other one, called the dealer and was given some different steps to try to resolve it, they even had me release the trunk lid which allows it to hang flat past the back of the car, talk about strange looking. After looking more I noticed the connector to the flap was discconnected, I looked closer and saw that the cable to the flap was pulled out too. Pics attached, drivers side BROKE, passenger side OK.

I am vacationing in NY and the weather is nice, looking forward to going around with the top down, called ROADSIDE, who put me in touch with a local dealer, about 10 minutes away from where I am staying, they called me and the service rep said he would think about the situation and call me after a while and let me know if he would could out. I was a little shocked, then after about a half hour the service manager called and said he would not send the tech out for that during business hours since he would be losing money and had other cars to service in the shop. I was given the option of having him stop by after hours. The problem was where I am staying there is no garage, so if he did not get the top up I would have to leave it outside and exposed to the elements. I ended up having to drive it to the dealership myself very slow with the trunk in the air and the top partially up. Here is what that looked like.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 SL500/2006 Porsche Cayenne S Titanium
That seems like a bunch of bulls$%#. I can't belive that they didn't send out a tech or at least offer to flat bed it back to the dealership. A over $100K investment and thats what you got from Roadside Asst. Wow! Not good. Let us know what the final outcome is. Good luck...