SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: R230 suspension have both shocks and struts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
non
R230 suspension have both shocks and struts?

I read on the article below that a car does not have both struts and shocks. Now I dont know if this article came out before the ABC suspension or not.
http://calgary.foundlocally.com/Tran...sAndStruts.htm

I know that ABC stands for active body control. So if the R230 has both struts and shocks, does that mean that the struts in the ABC suspension helps prevent body roll when making turns, and the shocks help dampen the coil springs?

If your struts no longer work, would your shocks still work to dampen the coil springs and help keep your wheels on the road when you go over bumps?
Old 08-29-2009, 10:35 AM
Banned

Received 387 Likes on 306 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Over the years typical Mercedes suspensions have an upper and lower control arm to support each front wheel, a spring between the lower control arm and the chassis to "suspend" the body, and a shock absorber to dampen the spring. That geometry is referred to as a "double-wishbone": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_wishbone.

With the W124, W201, and R129 cars Mercedes eliminates the upper control arm and mounts the shock absorber in a fashion that it supports the wheel. When the shock is employed in this manner it is called a "strut".

ABC is essentially a double-wishbone suspension with the unusual feature of having the spring and shock absorber (along with an hydraulic ram) incorporated into a single component -- the ABC strut.

Originally Posted by Bam Bam
If your struts no longer work, would your shocks still work to dampen the coil springs and help keep your wheels on the road when you go over bumps?
If by "no longer work" you mean the hydraulic rams, then yes -- the shocks would continue to work.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
non
Originally Posted by bobterry99
If by "no longer work" you mean the hydraulic rams, then yes -- the shocks would continue to work.
Can you tell me more about this hydraulic rams? is there another name for hydraulic rams?

If your ABC pump does not work, does that mean your pump will not move the hydraulic ram?

Would strut leaks cause the hydraulic ram to stop working?