SL/R230: SL 500 Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
560 sec
SL 500 Advice

Hello to all,

My name is Paul. I have recently registered to your forum and seek some advice. I am considering a purchase of an '04 or '05 SL500. I have little doubt that the vehicle will perform as expected or even beyond however, my concerns are focused on the reliability regarding premature system and/or component failures. I have read through many reviews and for the most part they are rated well. I realize with a vehicle like this that there will be issues. I have read a post from a member who stated how someone could get the wrong impression because people tend to post when things go wrong. With that in mind I would ask members for some feedback depicting the true characteristics of this vehicle. One particular vehicle is '04 with 22000 mi CPO with AMG pkg, wood trim and bi-xenon lights and key less go. The asking price is $43900, I think that is too high, can anyone provide a fair market value for a vehicle so equipped. I know I threw a lot out here for my first post, your personal experiences and knowledge would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards,

Paul
Old 09-29-2009, 10:27 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
welcome to the forum Paul.
i fit into the category of those who love their SL! i did a lot of research on this car back in 2001 before they even came out. my 05 happens to be almost a trouble free car. i had to change a couple of motor mounts, fix a rattle here and there, but so far nothing major. i only have 30k on the clock and it runs great.

the sl you mention seems over priced. i think you can at least get an 05 with that, which you should because of the improved navigation and possible less quirks. look for one with the pano-roof, you'll love it!
to me its the perfect all around car, sporty, luxury, classy and cool.
good luck on your purchase.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:31 PM

W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by Paul01
Hello to all,

My name is Paul. I have recently registered to your forum and seek some advice. I am considering a purchase of an '04 or '05 SL500. I have little doubt that the vehicle will perform as expected or even beyond however, my concerns are focused on the reliability regarding premature system and/or component failures. I have read through many reviews and for the most part they are rated well. I realize with a vehicle like this that there will be issues. I have read a post from a member who stated how someone could get the wrong impression because people tend to post when things go wrong. With that in mind I would ask members for some feedback depicting the true characteristics of this vehicle. One particular vehicle is '04 with 22000 mi CPO with AMG pkg, wood trim and bi-xenon lights and key less go. The asking price is $43900, I think that is too high, can anyone provide a fair market value for a vehicle so equipped. I know I threw a lot out here for my first post, your personal experiences and knowledge would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Best Regards,

Paul
Hi Paul--welcome to the Forum--this is a great place to get info and comraderie on all things Benz!

My brother-in-law worked for JD Power, on their Benz team. He told me that bad reviews tend to be higher for MB because of the reputation. People who don't buy lemons don't complain, nor do they sing the praises of their cars. And a lot of the complaints had to do with where the cupholders or the clock are placed. Granted, MB has had some electronics issues, and I think they've addressed that.
I've owned three MBs, and other than regular maintenance, they've all been better than any other car I've owned. Anecdotal, to be sure, but when you factor in the safety, comfort, and driving fun, it's more than worth it.

Good luck with your decision.

FraK
Old 09-30-2009, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 SL500/2006 Porsche Cayenne S Titanium
Hey Paul,
Welcome to the forum. You will find that you can get just about any answer to a question in a relatively quick time. As far as the 04' SL goes, it's definately overpriced given our current economy. I bought a non-CPO 06' SL500 w/8K on it for $45K back in April. So far, it's been quite reliable. I've had an issue with the ABC but it was taken care of under warranty. I did buy an extened warranty so that I wouldn't have to worry about anything major.

If you take a look at Black Book or Edmunds, you should get a good idea of where to start and then work your way backwards. It's the end of the convertible season and prices will drop. Don't go any lower than an 05 because that's when they went from a CD based navigation to a DVD rom navigation.

Good luck and again, welcome!
Old 10-02-2009, 02:59 PM

500 SL
Don't go any lower than an 05 because that's when they went from a CD based navigation to a DVD rom navigation.

Good luck and again, welcome![/quote]

I just like that last part since I am a cheepo. How about go lower than an '05, have CD navigation, spend $80 on a refurbished navigation that will destroy the DVD rom navigation in performance and features and save about $20,000 off the price above .