SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Trading in Sl. Anyone have any input on 2004 BMW 645ci?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL600, 2016 ES300h, 2012 Hayabusa
I have mixed feelings, I'm looking to get an SL as my fun weekend car, but I fully intend to take it on longer vacations. I work for Lexus and reliability isn't even a concern with these cars until you get past 100k, but they just don't build something that compares to the SL. I could get a used sc430 and have no problems for the next 5-6 years, but it looks girly and has a girly 288hp. I hope things work out for your SL, I think that beneath abc issues and dead intercooler pumps, there are good cars in there

btw I'm looking 04-05 SL600
Old 10-29-2009, 09:22 PM

2003 SL 500
Are you a member at Mercedes-Benz USA? It's a fair web-site and has some good information, you might give it a try. Personally, I think the SC 430 is a very good auto and since you work there you should be able to strike up a decent bargain, just a thought. Happy trails.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 SL600, 2016 ES300h, 2012 Hayabusa
I could get one for a crazy price plus I could get warranty for several years for next to nothing, but it's just like they mentioned before, the car lacks the soul that an SL has. I will say that the nav and stereo system makes much more sense on the SC, but I don't plan to buy a hard top convertible for the nav/stereo system.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:14 AM

His wifes head hard into the headboard nightly!!
Originally Posted by NEMES1S
I could get one for a crazy price plus I could get warranty for several years for next to nothing, but it's just like they mentioned before, the car lacks the soul that an SL has. I will say that the nav and stereo system makes much more sense on the SC, but I don't plan to buy a hard top convertible for the nav/stereo system.
my soul has been at MB since sept 17
Old 10-30-2009, 12:39 AM

2004 SL600; 2003 F 360 Spider
Vendetta

I sold my SL600 (R129 body) about 4 years ago and regretted it. I looked at many but none has the "soul" of the SL. Some are more reliable. Some are more expensive. Some are cheaper. Some are faster or slower BUT NONE gave me the unexplainable "feel" as when I get in an SL.

So when my wife ok'ed for me to buy another one - I bought one right away. It does have issues here and there (as you know) BUT the rest is history ..... for me. WOW what a drive every time

The best of luck to your decision
Old 10-30-2009, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by ttdang123
Vendetta

I sold my SL600 (R129 body) about 4 years ago and regretted it. I looked at many but none has the "soul" of the SL. Some are more reliable. Some are more expensive. Some are cheaper. Some are faster or slower BUT NONE gave me the unexplainable "feel" as when I get in an SL.

So when my wife ok'ed for me to buy another one - I bought one right away. It does have issues here and there (as you know) BUT the rest is history ..... for me. WOW what a drive every time

The best of luck to your decision
Thx for yr input guys. I agree, wheni drive it and look at it I love it. BUT I gotta to be able to drive worry free. Since sept 17 I have driven it 3 days.. Maybe 2 before it went back. We' ll ser I might get it tomm as they are just observing the battery. They said it was all fixed etc, but I'm not sure and they also want to be sure. It's almost winter here now, missed over a month of sunny driving.... Then it has to get the paint fixed that MB body shop f'd up when I first got car and they had for 1 month almost. So I will wait till snow I guess and get a courtesy car and get paint fixed up where they put too much clear coat and didn't paint all they were suppossed to. ... Too funny, this car car consumed my life since I got it...ahhh well not too funny.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:38 AM
gqa

05' sl 500
i suggest you sell or trade your 03 for an 05 or better sl. unfortunately you have one of the 1st model year sl's that were hit or miss with constant problems and you got a hit. i think if you upgrade to a later year you will have a better experience. im not saying it will be flawless but i believe it will be less likely to have constant problems keeping it in the shop.

that being said you should never own any high end car without a warranty unless your pretty proficient at diy!
i love my sl for all of the qualities that it embodies but i may not be able to say that if i had your problems. i plan to keep it for awhile because there isnt much that impresses me enough to trade my car in for, except an sl 63 maybe.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Banned

Received 389 Likes on 308 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
I'm considering purchasing an '03-'06 R230 in the coming months, and reliability is a high priority for me.
Originally Posted by gqa
i suggest you sell or trade your 03 for an 05 or better sl. unfortunately you have one of the 1st model year sl's that were hit or miss with constant problems and you got a hit. i think if you upgrade to a later year you will have a better experience.
Allen was unhelpful, so I'll try you. On what are you basing your notion that an '05 or '06 car is more reliable than an older R230? Are you simply guessing? Because based upon facts I know these model years are not an improvement, and I should not give preference to the newer years in my search.
Old 10-30-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by bobterry99
I'm considering purchasing an '03-'06 R230 in the coming months, and reliability is a high priority for me.Allen was unhelpful, so I'll try you. On what are you basing your notion that an '05 or '06 car is more reliable than an older R230? Are you simply guessing? Because based upon facts I know these model years are not an improvement, and I should not give preference to the newer years in my search.
i see guys on here with same issues and less miles with o5/06.
i think they have poorly constructed parts. IMO
Old 10-30-2009, 03:55 PM

'08 SL55
Originally Posted by VendettaMB
Too funny, this car car consumed my life since I got it...ahhh well not too funny.
Dude, you need go get away from these type cars. If it has 'consumed your life', then you are in way over your head. Get a Camry until you can afford to live life even when you need car repairs!
Old 10-30-2009, 03:57 PM
gqa

05' sl 500
Originally Posted by bobterry99
I'm considering purchasing an '03-'06 R230 in the coming months, and reliability is a high priority for me.Allen was unhelpful, so I'll try you. On what are you basing your notion that an '05 or '06 car is more reliable than an older R230? Are you simply guessing? Because based upon facts I know these model years are not an improvement, and I should not give preference to the newer years in my search.
its based on what i have read from members on this and the other MB forum. every year has its problems but i remember most of the chronic problems being associated with 03-04 models. that's why most members tell prospective buyers to get the latest model year you can afford. its also well known that new model years tend to have more quirks that are usually worked out as the model year progresses.

also i have at least 3 friends with 03 & 04s and they have had more problems than i do. as a matter of fact the only problems i really had on my sl were motor mounts, my sunshade which would not stay closed, and squealing brakes. of course this is just my car and this is just my opinion
Old 10-30-2009, 04:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 SL550
There are a few problem areas with the early cars that were rectified in later model years. Best example is the fuel-tank baffles in the 2003s. They were spot welded, and can come loose created an annoying rattle. This was fixed in mid 2004. The early COMAND (sic) systems in the 03/04s had screen-dimming issues as well, fixed with the DVD-based widescreen COMAND in the 05+ models. Of course, you're still stuck with the COMAND system, IMHO the weakest element of these cars.

Another example is the shift-lever parking release. The lever is plastic and vulnerable in the early cars, and many examples have broken, leaving the car stuck in park and no easy way to remove the console trim. Later model years apparently beefed-up this lever, and I haven't seen any examples post 2004 that have reported breaking.

The biggest problem area in these cars are the leaking struts and ABC pump issues. As far as I can tell, this has been constant and does NOT get better in subsequent model years. Best advice I know is to keep the ABC reservoir full, and be uber-careful when you remove the cap and add fluid to avoid dust and contaminants.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by teeth
Dude, you need go get away from these type cars. If it has 'consumed your life', then you are in way over your head. Get a Camry until you can afford to live life even when you need car repairs!
I can afford to live life!? and buy a decent car..but when i buy 1 i also expect it to be driven, not sit at a shop and the dealer to be able to fix it! Maybe they should build a better product. I have had BMW's most of my life with no issues, this time thought i would try MB.

its not the $,..... its under warranty, its the issues with CAR i have a problem with.

Last edited by VendettaMB; 10-30-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:25 AM

2003 SL 500
I posted on this subject because you asked about B Service here's my 2 cents worth. 1. If you don't have complete confidence in your service facility look for another one. 2. You mentioned spark plug replacement, if you are getting decent mileage and the car performs well wait a while to replace the plugs. My dealership recommended that I not replace mine at the last B Service.
3. The cabin filter ($ 140) made little or no difference to my car, you could wait a while for this without any adverse effect.
4. Get a complete print out of the service they plan to perform and delay the ones you don't think are absolutely necessary.
5. A warranty is one thing and "routine maintenance" another.
6. I always let Mercedes change the oil and filter; however, it could probably be done at "Jiffy Lube" at a reduced rate. To me, keeping the oil clean is a HIGH priority.

Happy Trails.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by BENZGR
I posted on this subject because you asked about B Service here's my 2 cents worth. 1. If you don't have complete confidence in your service facility look for another one. 2. You mentioned spark plug replacement, if you are getting decent mileage and the car performs well wait a while to replace the plugs. My dealership recommended that I not replace mine at the last B Service.
3. The cabin filter ($ 140) made little or no difference to my car, you could wait a while for this without any adverse effect.
4. Get a complete print out of the service they plan to perform and delay the ones you don't think are absolutely necessary.
5. A warranty is one thing and "routine maintenance" another.
6. I always let Mercedes change the oil and filter; however, it could probably be done at "Jiffy Lube" at a reduced rate. To me, keeping the oil clean is a HIGH priority.

Happy Trails.
they are good as they give me courtesy car, deal with warranty company etc. thye have a good name here locally.
Thx for service info, muchly appreciated..i think i might take to indy and buy the patrs at MB as i can get a discount. Service IMO can be done by any good INDY, but i will check difference in price first.