SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Buying an SL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volkswagen CC
Buying an SL500

Hi folks. I used to frequent AudiWorld and Rennlist for Audi and my Porsche before I sold them and got a VW CC. Some of you might have come across me if y'all were members of either site, and I was told this is the place for Mercedes owners.

I'm buying an SL500 for my mother, and I found what looks to be a good deal on a 2005 in California. It's got less than 35k miles, panorama roof, ventilated seats, sirius and CD changer, paddle shifters, and keyless go among other stuff. It's also got a CPO warranty good through the first quarter of 2012. I've come to what I think is a good price with the owner and am flying out on Friday to look at it and buy it.

I'm just curious if there are any last minute suggestions you all have for me to look for, regular problems I should be aware of, and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Captain
Old 12-30-2009, 10:25 PM

04 SL55 AMG
Look for leaky valve cover gaskets, any leaking ABC struts, check headlamp washers to make sure they work, make sure cup holders aren't broken... that's about all I can think of.

If you have the CPO warranty, that's great! You should be covered for many things if you miss anything.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:18 PM

Volkswagen CC
Originally Posted by sjcsl55
Look for leaky valve cover gaskets, any leaking ABC struts, check headlamp washers to make sure they work, make sure cup holders aren't broken... that's about all I can think of.

If you have the CPO warranty, that's great! You should be covered for many things if you miss anything.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
I'll look out for all that. The CPO is what is flying me out to CA from FL, that's a huge bonus. I'll keep y'all posted and post photos.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
The big thing with any used car, especially complex, high line cars is a complete service history. Also, get a feel for the owner and how well the car has been taken care of. A PPI at a dealer, with a computer readout of the systems, as well as a check up by someone who knows what he is doing is not a bad idea either.

Good luck.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Here in south FL there are many for sale at good prices. No need to travel cross country and then pay for shipping or put 3000 miles on it driving home. If your mom lived on the west coast, that would be another story. Just don't fly out there and feel you have to buy it if it doesn't live up to your expectations.

Another forum member Macbest just posted his deal-2005 SL500 loaded with 18,000 miles for $35.5K. Is your deal similar that it warrants traveling? Dealers are hurting and looking to get rid of cars. I just picked up a new 2009 SL550 for over $26,000 off sticker.

The CPO warranty is a nice thing to have though.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:51 PM

08 CLS63, Honda Accord, 04 911
You almost have nothing to worry about with CPO.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:40 PM

Volkswagen CC
I flew out, bought it and am back. It was a good deal with warranty. It had all the options I wanted, and to be honest, I wanted to do the road trip, so all in all, it was the right car. I dealt with a lot of dealers around here, and they had some deals, but none that were as good.

No real problems to speak of. One tire will need replacing soonish, the side bolster rocker on the drivers seat needs to be fixed or replaced, and one key needs a new battery. If that's all I found in 2800 miles, I'm quite happy.