SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: keyless go issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 SL 500, 09 R350, 09 E63, 2010 Prius
keyless go issues

Had some problems with keyless go recently. Perhaps the knowledgeble people on this forum can help. I tried to search the other threads but have not come away with something similar to what happened to me. Perhaps it did get posted earlier but I can't find it. So here is what happened to me.
about 2 months ago, it started with a couple no starts with one push of the keyless start. A second, more determined push did the job. Thought bad connection, low batt. whatever. It started. Then, it became no start with push on button first thing in morning after the car has been cold for more than 12-24hrs. Key still works in the ignition. Procrastinated about bringing it to dealer for check.
Then one afternoon, started the car keyless (may have been first start of day) was going to dinner. Got to the restaurant and the car wont shut off. can't turn key in ignition (engine is on) and the keyless was unresponsive. No messeges on dash. Had to scrap dinner plans and headed straight for home. Called roadside service and she had to choke the engine to death by muffling the air intake. Unplugged the battery to reset the electronics, then everything normal.
Took it to my SA, got no error messeges on their diagnostics. One questionable thing on shifter so they replaced the shifter. started at dealer fine with keyless. Next morning... no start with keyless in the morning but started with key. Afternoon, keyless works fine. This became a patter, first cold start no go with keyless but after it runs a while, keyless works.

Then, about two weeks ago, started the car keyless in the morning, first start in around 3 days (have trickle charger by the way so little trunk batt is charged), drove down driveway, realized forgot something, shut engine off with keyless, ran back into house, restarted car with keyless within 2 min... nada! Ignition does not work either. Key wont even turn the ignition. It's locked. Steering is straight, car is in park. The messege says "please remove key"... but there is no key in there and the engine is off. Had to run to work and had wife call roadside service, car is like halfway on the sidewalk... waited then when he got here, stuck key in and the car started.. looked like a fool. didn't even have to reset the electronics.

So, figure I'd be safe driving with the key instead of the keyless go until the dealer can fix it. Then today, went to dinner with wife after some work was done on audio. The tech drove the car out with keyless, it started for him... then I took the car, never shutting it off... went to the restaurant about 5 miles away, parked in lot.... bam! can't shut engine off. Good think I learned the trick from the roadside service tech. Did the engine choking myself and unhooked the battery with a bad wrench that came with the tool kit in the trunk. Was able to enjoy dinner with wife and get home, but had dirty hands and had to work on my car in a public garage with other people driving by maybe thinking I am trying to hotwire the car and steal it...

So, that's the long story. Anybody ever experience something like this with their keyless? what was your diagnosis? I am going to take it to the SA next week. First, gotta go to my mod guy to get a quick release for the trunk battery or replace that stripped nut! Help!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:01 PM

SL500
I'm sorry to hear about all those issues, but you should kick up a huge storm at the dealership to get it fixed. There is a control module that manages all the KG functions. Have them replace that temporarily to assess the root cause. Sorry I can't offer more than that, but I hope you get it fixed. Good Luck!
Old 01-12-2010, 12:12 AM

brought car to dealer today after starting with keyless then can't turn off... again! They are running tests... hopefully, will hear something soon!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:06 PM

05 Iridium/Charcoal SL600
Only have had my sl600 since beginning of December. I had my first "half start" over the weekend... Pushed the KG button, engine started to turn bt didn't start. Second press got it to start, no issues since then. Sounds like I'm in for more in the future...
Old 01-13-2010, 08:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
03 SL500
Same problem. Car still at dealer

I am having a similar problem. (longer version below)VERY interested in any outcome or news you have. Dealer wants to replace the gear shifter.

I was driving when the car did a slight "lurch". All the dashboard lights came on and blinked off. I noticed the BRAKE light stayed on and the warnings came rolling in on the display "Visit Workshop, ABS, etc." I noticed the outside temp read +185, the headlights turned on and could not be turned off, the A/C went off and coudl not be turned on. I pulled over and tried to turn the car off and could not. Dealer is citing a "well known issue" I am waiting for the diagnostic report of the car to find out what the well known issue is.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:50 PM

03 SL500
More info... I am being told this is a common known issue under Service Bulletin P-B-27.60/37. I haven't been able to read the bulletin itself, but I am skeptical as this problem only occurred after minor body work was performed from a fender bender. Can anyone shed any light on what the service bulletin says?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:02 PM

2008 - S550 4Matic, 2010 - E350 4Matic, 2010 - C350 4Matic
I had a 2008 C-Class and now a 2010 C-Class and on both cars the Keyless-Go does not work properly. Useless feature, causes nothing but aggravation.

When I told them that my S-Class never had that problem, I was told the unit on a S-Class is a different unit, better quality, the C-Class has a cheap version in it.

Jorg
Old 01-15-2010, 04:08 AM

Jiaotong, your problem seems to be more complicated. The ABS going out and red warning light is a well known issue discussed on this board. My wife old 2003 E500 had it go out on her once, almost couldn't stop. No keyless issues with any of our other cars yet (E63, Toyota Prius). The keyless issue has been mostly attributed to the shifter. Mine was replaced a few weeks back but still had the same problem. The technician called MB and they told him to replace the shifter. they were puzzled when told that it was done already. They still have my car, today, called back and said they finally got a code fault and it said something about a voltage oscillation/abnormality in some control unit that controls the keyless/ignition. Will see.
As for cheaper keyless go unit??? I don't know. why would MB make two different units for their cars, it's just a controller and some wires.. I think that's BS. but then again, could be true just that financially, it does not make sense to manufacture two units that does the same thing.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:37 PM

03 SL500
Eric,

It is a pain, but is there any way you can find out what the fault code is they are getting and more details about the control unit that is causing the problem with voltage osc? I am interested because I do not believe the gear shifter is the problem.

thanks,
jim
Old 01-20-2010, 12:56 AM

not sure what fault code came up. But got call today, ignition switch problem. Will get new part tomorrow. Will see...
Old 01-21-2010, 09:02 PM

07 S550 & 05 SL55
granted i am no expert but i am glad my car is not going through this

i really could see this a voltage issue
one of my best friends is a bmw tech and he said often random intermittent problems can be due to low voltage

hopefully you figure out the problem and can keep us posted
Old 01-25-2010, 12:57 AM

Got the car back on Friday. They replaced the Ignition switch. No problems since... Shifter was replaced earlier which did not solve the problem. I can drive with confidence again! yeah! By the way, everything was covered under the extended service warranty I purchased when I got the car new 6+ years ago. I am thinking of getting another extended warranty to cover my *** for the next 3-4 years I am going to drive this baby!