SL/R230: Wood steering wheel and shift knob install and repair question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 06:20 PM

Location: somewhere between Tallahassee and Davie, FL depending on the day :-p
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 sl500
Wood steering wheel and shift knob install and repair question

hello, picked up a nice oem wood steering wheel and shift knob for my '03 sl500 on ebay for a good price. was wondering if someone could walk me through step by step of the install or point me to a place to buy a good manual which would have this information.
also i had a repair question... the reason the price was so good on the set was cause there was a scratch on the steering wheel. i thought, no problem, if its just a scratch i can polish it out, no biggy. well, it arrived and not only is it longer than described but its not a scratch, its a 'crack' in the laquer? finish. i have repaired epoxy/resin coated skimboards/surfboards and such before, but this seems like it would require a more delicate process. any ideas on how to repair it? i can get a good picture if required (the picture the seller had really made it look jsut like a scratch ). Also, the shift knob has the start button setup built in for my keyless go, but i received it without the actual top button (literally just the piece that says start/stop engine or whatever)... for lack of a better way to explain it, its like if you took the key off your keyboard, the little rubber thing is still there and it still clicks and works but the letter/cover isnt there. ill get a pic of this up in a little bit as well. it seems it had been popped off and lost by previous owner as i see no real damge, just the remnants of the glue used to keep it in place. any idea where, or if i can even order this part and what the part number would be?

thanks for the help!
-Dan

Last edited by rocker4488; 02-06-2010 at 06:22 PM.