SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Can i buy carpet overmat retaining clips or is it new mats ?.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:06 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
AMG GLS63
Can i buy carpet overmat retaining clips or is it new mats ?.

Hi all
The overmats in my SL are in pretty good condition but the retaining clips from both drivers and passengers mats are missing. The clips are in the floor ready to locate the overmats but all i have in the mats are 2 shaped holes in each one.

Can i buy retaining clips or do i have to pay £80 GBP for new mats ?.

Thanks

Carl
Old 02-17-2010, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 SL500
You can get the plastic disks (black only in my experience though). You will want to see if the grommet that fits over the little posts in the carpet are there too. In other words there are 2 parts that you may need for each one.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:10 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
AMG GLS63
Hi i spoke to the dealer today and they say that i cant buy just the clips i have to buy complete mats @ $130.

I still have 3 of the 4 circular clips attached to the pegs in the floor carpet and the mats have holes which are the same shape. I dont have any of the caps that go on the outside of the mats.

Can i definately buy just the clips and if so do you have a part number i can quote the dealer please ?.

He knew what i meantg and referred to them as mushroom clips but seemed pretty sure i have to buy mats to get the fixings.

Hope you can help ?.

Thanks

Carl
Old 02-20-2010, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
I, too, had some usable mats, which had the snaps broken off.

For $130 I think I would find something cheaper elsewhere. I bought some Lloyd front floor mats, and it had the retaining clips, which work fine, for about $80. Those mats also had a neat "Mbz" logo embroidered into them.

And if I wanted to go cheaper, (I didn't) I would have found some way of fastening the old mats down. These car companies think they can charge anything for their products, and perhaps they can, but that doesn't mean they'll sell many of them.