SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Looking into R230 merc. sl55 and sl500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
none yet
Question Looking into R230 merc. sl55 and sl500

Hi guys. I'm looking into buying sl55 or sl500. Coming from a lexus ls400 so I am uninformed on what to expect from mercs in general. Obviously i would be more inclined towards sl55 due to amg specs, etc but its also little more on pricey side but i think that's the way i'm leaning towards.

What year is least troublesome and what are each year issues with both sl55 and sl500? Any major issues i should be on the look out for?
What are the differences between each year?

I was looking in cars dot com and others so they're most likely not on warranty. How important is warranty? How does extended warranty work and what does it cover and what are it's costs? I talked to friend of friend who works at merc dealer and him telling me radio cost 16k to replace due to fiber optic cabling?! Where to look for sl too?

Love the car and look. Little on heavy side but i might not care as much.
Any additional info would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 SL500/2006 Porsche Cayenne S Titanium
Welcome to the forum,
You will find lots of good information about your upcoming purchase. The one thing that most SL owners would say is to purchase a extended warranty. These vehicles were typically $95K plus new so maintainence is expensive and any Mercedes out of warranty is going to cost you.

As far as what to look for, a top that goes up and down freely with no binding, check the motors. Take a look at the maintainence records, ensure that you run the vin through Carfax or Autocheck. Make sure that your ABC lights are on not on and try to use the suspension lowering and raising of the vehicle. That's really expensive. As far as the year, 05' and up give you the latest navigation and it's dvd based rather then the old outdated set of maps that you have to purchase. Also, reliability seemed to improve.

I purchased and 06' SL500 last year with 8k on the odometer with and extended warranty and didn't have any major problems until the ABC light came on. Went to the dealer and was told, good thing I had the warranty because to replace the pumps and various other issues related to the ABC would have run me well over $2400. The warranty paid for itself.

There are links that you can go to and find out more about specific issues with the car, but I've got to tell you, it is one of the best looking most fun to drive vehicles out there for the money. No rattles, no wind noise like the BMW 650i and it's pretty nimble for a vehicle that weighs over 4000lbs.

Let us know which one you buy and good luck to you!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
His wifes head hard into the headboard nightly!!
Various problems in all years. Get extended warranty.