SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: So whats the trick to changing day running lights ?.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 03:39 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GLS63
So whats the trick to changing day running lights ?.

Hi all

I recently bought some new white bulbs to replace the yellow colour day running lights that are on when the dipped beam lights are on. I read the manual and it doesnt say much so i just went for it and removed the plastic cap to reveal the bulb cluster. I dont know if im doing something wrong / not doing something that im meant to be but like hell could i get my fingers in to pull that small bulb next to the main bulb for the dipped beam.

Whats the secret, is it as daft as using some small / needle nose pliers in there ?. The holder looks fragile and i didnt want to break it by gripping it and pulling with pliers if theres a knack to pulling it out.

Any help welcome.

Its the small W5W bulb i refer to.

Thanks

Carl
Old 03-27-2010, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Hi,

You ever figure this one out? I have the same exact issue right now

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2010, 09:29 PM

SL500
Hi me too. I want to change the daytime bulb as well...
Old 04-11-2010, 09:43 PM

AMG SL55
Use a needle nose plier, not too small - the longer the better because the area is cramped as you well know. Grab the outer plastic part of the bulb housing that sticks out of the holder with the pilers firmly but dont overdo it and pull outwards, it should slide right out. After swapping the bulb, test to see that it works and stays lit without flickering. Some LED bulbs are sold as having built in resistors and some have external resistors to override the flickering/flashing. If the bulb flashes you need the external resistor. I installed the versions that have the external resistor which looks like a small plastic cube with 2 wires sticking out of it. You must connect it in-line with the red wire and one of the 2 brown wires that are attached to the bulb holder either by soldering or using a crimp connector. Try one brown wire and test, if it flashes, try the other one. The area is tight and a ***** to work in so make sure to give yourself plenty of time and you must have plenty of patience. Took me 30 seconds to pull the bulbs out and 2 hours to connect the resistors.