SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Battery charge affecting instrument cluster - Advice please ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 05:40 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
AMG GLS63
Battery charge affecting instrument cluster - Advice please ?

Hi all

I previously posted that the 2 eliptical LCD displays in my instrument cluster were intermittently going black to the point where they were just black all the time so i couldnt see he menu's for the car. I also posted that one day when i unlocked the car (didnt start it) i got a red warning message "reduced brake affect - start engne" and the display was on. Anyway i started the engine and the error message went away. The LCD worked perfectly from then on. I read that the error message was a voltage related issue ?.

The weather here in the UK has improved now so i opened the roof a few days ago and a few mins later the LCD display went black again and hasnt come back on since (i have had the roof open a few times these past few days).

I am beginning to think that the power needed to open he roof has drained the rear battery a bit and the voltage has dropped but my question is "would that affect the instrument cluster ?".

I dont have any means to test the voltage but do have an old chager so i thought id ask if this seems logical before pulling the rear battery and charging it up.

Im scared to death that disconnecting will loose memory settings etc and have to resync when i reconnect or worse still i do some damage

Is what im thnking possible and shoud i go battery first ?.

The main dealer just said "oh the cluster is faulty £1500 to replace it please sir"

For info i drive the car most days but when i purchased it in Jan the dealer had let it run completely flat and couldnt start the car on the day i went to collect it so im worried the battery isnt 100%. Everything seems to work ok just the cluster problem.

Thanks in advance

Carl