SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Questions on lowering - SL550, 2007

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on lowering - SL550, 2007

I am planning to install 20" RIMS on my SL550. I'm looking at a number of 1-piece wheels - budget isn't there right now for the 3-piece.
I do however want to lower the car a little. So far I can see 2 options and want input on the best way to go.
1. Lowering links - how much do they lower the car? does it affect suspension travel? How easy are they to install? Which are best?
2. Renntech lowering module - I like this idea because I"m happier doing electronic mods than mechanical. I also like the idea it can be adjusted. The issue is it costs way more than the links - way more! $1700 for this seems excessive.
Even stock I occasionally grind on a curb at the front. The little 'raise me up' button works well to pull off without an issue. How is this affected by above 2?
Old 06-19-2010, 01:11 PM

SL500
I've had both links and the Renntech module. The major difference is that the links are not adjustable after install. You can adjust drop it as low as you really would want when you first install the links.

I actually ended up going with the links. PM me if you're interested in the lowering module, which I still have around here somewhere since I never installed them.
Old 06-19-2010, 04:03 PM

His wifes head hard into the headboard nightly!!
Originally Posted by ElanMike
I am planning to install 20" RIMS on my SL550. I'm looking at a number of 1-piece wheels - budget isn't there right now for the 3-piece.
I do however want to lower the car a little. So far I can see 2 options and want input on the best way to go.
1. Lowering links - how much do they lower the car? does it affect suspension travel? How easy are they to install? Which are best?
2. Renntech lowering module - I like this idea because I"m happier doing electronic mods than mechanical. I also like the idea it can be adjusted. The issue is it costs way more than the links - way more! $1700 for this seems excessive.
Even stock I occasionally grind on a curb at the front. The little 'raise me up' button works well to pull off without an issue. How is this affected by above 2?
LINKS, install in minutes, can adjust to any height/drop you want..change it back easily also. Im selling mine PM me for price. I traded in car, having them removed with al my stuff this monday. I live in Vancouver. John from Adjustable installed them for me, in 10minutes. These were bought from him owner/operator himself. used for about 8mo. But they dont wear. top quality product..let me know they wont last! i had a nice low drop, but it rubbed abit, so we simplt adjusted them up as Im a bigger guy, in about 10 minutes..so simple! read the reviews ALL POSITIVE! Im i BLAINE, WA 2x a week and can mail out express from there if you or anyone wants 'em
g/l
Old 06-27-2010, 01:20 PM

His wifes head hard into the headboard nightly!!
Originally Posted by VendettaMB
LINKS, install in minutes, can adjust to any height/drop you want..change it back easily also. Im selling mine PM me for price. I traded in car, having them removed with al my stuff this monday. I live in Vancouver. John from Adjustable installed them for me, in 10minutes. These were bought from him owner/operator himself. used for about 8mo. But they dont wear. top quality product..let me know they wont last! i had a nice low drop, but it rubbed abit, so we simplt adjusted them up as Im a bigger guy, in about 10 minutes..so simple! read the reviews ALL POSITIVE! Im i BLAINE, WA 2x a week and can mail out express from there if you or anyone wants 'em
g/l
SOLD & SHipped
Old 06-28-2010, 12:26 AM

The links are one - still stock wheels right now - pick up the new 20's on Wed.
I used 10mm offset from standard arms - a little too aggressive I think - the suspension was very low and very hard, plus it gave me an ABC error. I just reset the back's to 5mm and will see how that feels tomorrow.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:53 AM

Still getting the ABC error and back is way low - even with only 5mm additional link length. Could something have been damaged when I put the links on? It was pretty straight forward - can't see how it would have happened.
Tomorrow i am going to change the front to 5mm before putting on the new tires, and also measure the height with the height control in the 3 positions to make sure the back is still adjusting.
Is there any way to read the code without using some expensive tool? On my Vette, I pushed a couple of buttons in the right order and it would come up on the display.