SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL500 roof issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240, SL500, ML350
SL500 roof issues

I have had this SL for over a year now (luckily with an extended warranty).At the beginning i thought "Its great!" The SL looks great: "Orion Blue" (best looking blue color), has a skylight in the roof, AMG sport package, Brabus Monoblock VI rims with wider tires in the back, and stainless steel trim that ties everything together. Most importantly Its a joy to drive, especially with the roof down. A month later the problems start... I heard something clunking around in the back, it was raining so i thought maybe a bolt fell out. I checked and there was nothing. Later i went to the dealer and the fuel tank broke. The warranty paid for itself that day! A couple days after that the roof wouldn't lock into place () quick fix though-just a clip. the next day the roof wont go up. now this is getting annoying. It has been a year now and it has been in and out of the shop every week. They have replaced everything in the roof that is possible and then just this last monday it went in again. They think the skylight in the roof makes it heavier-meaning the hydraulics break. Does anybody else have any issues like this? its a 2003 (so getting old now) but only has 35000 miles on it (never seen a winter) so i would think it would have problems... just not unfixable ones. I just hope i can get this resolved, if anybody has this problem please explain how you got it fixed.