SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: the reservoir neck at right rear of engine near firewall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 S550 4matic
the reservoir neck at right rear of engine near firewall

Question, I was noticing that the reservoir neck near right rear of engine where in past older models would use for adding transmission fluid, it doesn't have a cover with a red tap that restrict owner from adding fluid, does a cap suppose to cover that neck? Dealer had my vehicle for service for over three months and just today after getting it back i happen to look under hood and noticed this neck uncovered. 2003 SL 500
Old 08-03-2010, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by la22bay
Question, I was noticing that the reservoir neck near right rear of engine where in past older models would use for adding transmission fluid, it doesn't have a cover with a red tap that restrict owner from adding fluid, does a cap suppose to cover that neck? Dealer had my vehicle for service for over three months and just today after getting it back i happen to look under hood and noticed this neck uncovered. 2003 SL 500
That is where the dipstick would be but on the MB's there is no dipstick. The rational for this is the computer will tell you when to add oil. You can buy a part from MB at a ridiculous price that will act as a dipstick but it is not permanent and must be removed once used
Old 08-03-2010, 10:18 PM

2014 S550 4matic
thanks Lou, this dealership is notorious for servicing your car and leaving parts off during reassembling.