SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Adding USB outlet to 2003 SL500 storage compartment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500
Adding USB outlet to 2003 SL500 storage compartment

I recently described some useful updates to my SL500 - bluetooth for smart phone, and ipod adaptor/amplifier/noise suppressor. Now I want to be able to charge the phone while driving. I'm using the cigar lighter for the ipod control, which sits well down in the socket and works great. I tried adding an adaptor to get two 12 volt sources from the cigar lighter, but they all take up too much space and interfere with the shift lever. I would like to be able to put the phone into the lower compartment between the seats and be able to keep it charged while there. There is a light in the compartment, and presumably a switch at the latch. Does anyone know the best way to get to the wires that go to this switch (or to another source of power at this compartment), and can I wire it to a USB connection to charge the phone without losing the light? There appears to be a lower panel in this compartment that is attached by two small screws at the rear, but I have not yet taken anything apart to have a closer look - would like to know first whether what I'm considering will work.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:43 PM

2003 SL500, 1998 E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by twilightround
I recently described some useful updates to my SL500 - bluetooth for smart phone, and ipod adaptor/amplifier/noise suppressor. Now I want to be able to charge the phone while driving. I'm using the cigar lighter for the ipod control, which sits well down in the socket and works great. I tried adding an adaptor to get two 12 volt sources from the cigar lighter, but they all take up too much space and interfere with the shift lever. I would like to be able to put the phone into the lower compartment between the seats and be able to keep it charged while there. There is a light in the compartment, and presumably a switch at the latch. Does anyone know the best way to get to the wires that go to this switch (or to another source of power at this compartment), and can I wire it to a USB connection to charge the phone without losing the light? There appears to be a lower panel in this compartment that is attached by two small screws at the rear, but I have not yet taken anything apart to have a closer look - would like to know first whether what I'm considering will work.

I would use quick wire connects through the cigarette lighter and run the wires through the center console.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 S550 & 05 SL55
have u considered wiring an additional cigarette adapter into the compartment?
it will take some drilling and modification but it may be your best bet

also check out scosche they make 12v plugs that have 2 usb outlets
Old 08-16-2010, 09:21 PM

'08 SL55
I did it. Drilled a hole through the back wall of the console compartment and tapped a hot wire near fuse box under passenger side rear compartment floor.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:17 PM

SL500
teeth - thanks. Is the wire you tapped under the compartment behind the passenger's seat, opposite the compartment for the six disk changer? What did you have to do to get to it, did you use USB, and how did you mount it, if at all?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:39 PM

'08 SL55
teeth - thanks. Is the wire you tapped under the compartment behind the passenger's seat, opposite the compartment for the six disk changer? What did you have to do to get to it, did you use USB, and how did you mount it, if at all?
yes, open that compartment and you'll see a little cover in its floor. Pull the tabs and viola there's a fuse box. Use a tester to find a hot wire. The easiest way to do it is to buy a lighter outlet (female) with bare wires, then use any USB lighter plug into that. Wrapped it all up in some good electrical tape and left the mess in the fuse box, threaded the usb wire through the hole i drilled in the console box. Was going to mount it but the console hinges got in the way so just left if in there.
Attached Thumbnails Adding USB outlet to 2003 SL500 storage compartment-ramscig.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 08-17-2010, 08:54 AM

SL500
teeth - thank you again. That's exactly what I was looking for.