SL/R230: Multiple Red Error Messages & Lights - Advice Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 12:39 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
AMG GLS63
Multiple Red Error Messages & Lights - Advice Please

Hi all

A few days ago i went out to my 2003 SL500 and the central locking remote wouldn't work. I had to use the metal key blade to open the car and when i started it i got the message that the consumer electrics were offline. I ran the car for half an hour and all was well. I had driven the car for 3 hours none stop the day earlier so the battery would have been charged, right ?.

Next day the car opened off the central locking remote but when i started the car i got the same consumer electrics offline message + another saying "display faulty visit workshop". I have had past issues with my LCD display going off but never the message. Anyway after a few mins driving again all was well. The display was working the whole time despite the message.

The same story for 2 or 3 days.

Today i got the message on start up (central locking still opening the car) but after driving for 10 mins i got a big red error message and the battery symbol. The car was still running and after a few seconds the red error messages went out. A few seconds later all hell breaks loose. Every error symbol lights up and flash randomly, i get a message saying the roof has failed (i can hear the pump groaning), my headlights start flashing, the fuel gauge turns off (assume fuel pump has been turned off). Then all goes ok. I turn the car off and wait 5 mins and restart. All is ok for a couple of mins then hell breaks loose again.

The car was driveable but with the dash lit up like a christmas tree and some serious groaning from the roof pump.

I got it home and charged the consumer battery in the rear for an hour and have taken it back out and it seems fine now.

Question, is the rear consumer battery dead and needs to be changed ?.

I ask because the symptoms suggest it does but i thought once the car is started and driving the battery would charge and get better not worse. I don't want to buy a battery and kill it if i have another problem that needs attention.

Anyone have this happen to them ?.

Thanks

Carl
Old 09-17-2010, 04:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
SL55 AMG, Range Rover Evoque
I have same auxiliary battery problem with my 2003 SL55. Battery checked by MB dealer, and found to be in good condition.

If I use the car daily, then no problem, but if left sitting for a week or two, need to use manual key to get in and start, with everything off-line until I drive a few miles. Appears to be a standard issue with these cars, and apparently MB has no cure.

My solution, is to use a CTEK trickle charger, plugged in every time I put it into the garage. Make sure you have to step over the charger cable each time you go to the car, or else you may drive away with the trickle charger still connected.

Has a quick disconnect, so no effort to use. Now I have no issues.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:47 PM

AMG GLS63
I haven't had any error messages / problems since the brief charge so my guess is that it is indeed the consumer battery. I just thought driving the car would charge the battery and help but on this occasion it didn't and the battery still failed which is strange.

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to buy a charger that is designed for AGM type batteries and give it a full day on charge and see if the error goes away completely.

Carl
Old 09-26-2010, 04:58 AM

AMG GLS63
I bought a fully automatic battery charger and charged the battery on the sealed setting until the green light came on to show it was fully charged. The charger has a maintain function which protects the battery from overcharging and the charge took about 1 hour (i charged it with a normal charger for about 30 minutes last week and all has been well since) so i guess it didn't need a full boost ?.

Anyway after a few hours i looked out and the handle for the roof opening was flashing red so i went out and started the SL. Again all hell beaks loose and everything was off except i get even more error messages and it took a lot longer to charge the consumer by driving round.

Have i ruined the AGM type battery by using a normal charger or even by using the automatic one and the sealed setting ?.

After charging it by driving for about 30 minutes last night the red flashing roof handle stopped and when i went out this morning it started fine and no issues. Charging from the car helps, from battery charger appeared not to ?.

Any suggestions anyone ?.

Thanks

Carl