Thx
The following users liked this post:
JOHANKOCH (05-26-2016)
Old 07-02-2011, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SL55 AMG
Ditto for Me too

Originally Posted by lkirchner
The part is shown under Quarter Panel, Interior Trim and it is called the side cover. You can get it on Parts.com or OEdiscountparts.com. Parts .com has good prices but the shipping and handling are absurd. On the OEdiscountparts site the price is $283 but shipping and handling is free.

It takes about 20 minutes in total to remove and install the new piece. There are 2 clips , 1 screw that hold it on. 1 Bolt to loosen and the removal of the silver end cap that you see at the front of the rear window. You should probably buy the clips as well since they do break easily.

If you go the DIY route let me know and I can scan the instructions to you.

Same happen to me in June and its an eye sore when the top is down. Can you please send me your DIY to remedy this issue - Thanks! Dan
Old 07-05-2011, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by tsmsgm
Same happen to me in June and its an eye sore when the top is down. Can you please send me your DIY to remedy this issue - Thanks! Dan
Go to this link: https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...placement.html. The fix shown with the wire will work but you will have to remove the large piece to do it properly. The removal is fairly simple: Step 1 is to remove the silver cap that is held on with 4 torx screws. This is the one on the door jamb in front of the rear window. Step 2 open the flap and you will find a bolt that is about in the middle of the flap. Loosen this bolt; you do not have to remove it since all that it does is hold the large piece in place. Step 3 start to close the roof a little and you will see a torx screw at the back side of the large piece; remove it. To close the roof this small bit start the car and then do the roof thing; the roof will not try to close itself with the car running. Step 4 Use a curved tool that is used for auto door panel removal (can be purchased at any auto parts store) and pop the panel free from the frame and probably break at least 1 of the 2 clips. I would advise buying 2 of them in advance. You can get them from the Stealer or from www,eodiscountparts.com . Look at Quarter panel, interior trim, your color, side cover and then you will find the clips.

Good luck
Old 08-14-2011, 01:50 PM

2003 sl 500 launch edition
Lou K are you sure you have to take the part off to do the wire trick, looks like get tubed just repaired it in place. i asked him about it in the post, waiting for a reply.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mtbmtb
Lou K are you sure you have to take the part off to do the wire trick, looks like get tubed just repaired it in place. i asked him about it in the post, waiting for a reply.
It is much easier to take it off. In addition you will most likely have to reseat the spring which is near impossible when the flap is in place.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:26 PM

r230 2003 sl500
Completed the repair. Used the wire method that was suggested. Did not have to remove the larger panel to which the flap is attached. Took some patience though. All three tabs were partially broken but in place for the flap hinge arrangement to rest on. The pin at the front was intact so the wire repair on the rearmost tab was the key to holding the flap. Flap appears to sit well but is no longer spring loaded. It however falls into place of it's own accord when the roof is opened. The wire was a dark green floral wire and is undetectable unless one looks into the crack and the overall repair is undetectable. The drilled holes are tiny.I don't believe there is any possibility of the flap flying off as speed but I will try it out this coming week. The research took about 2 hours and the Repair took about 45 minutes.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by waltg1
Completed the repair. Used the wire method that was suggested. Did not have to remove the larger panel to which the flap is attached. Took some patience though. All three tabs were partially broken but in place for the flap hinge arrangement to rest on. The pin at the front was intact so the wire repair on the rearmost tab was the key to holding the flap. Flap appears to sit well but is no longer spring loaded. It however falls into place of it's own accord when the roof is opened. The wire was a dark green floral wire and is undetectable unless one looks into the crack and the overall repair is undetectable. The drilled holes are tiny.I don't believe there is any possibility of the flap flying off as speed but I will try it out this coming week. The research took about 2 hours and the Repair took about 45 minutes.
Not trying to justify my statemenmt about taking the large piece out but----- In order to reseat the spring the entire piece has to come off. You can reseat the spring to the bottom of the center tab and the flap will close when the top is lowered. It is a pain but it works like the original before the cheap plastic tabs break and they will break. My driver's side just broke this afternoon.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:55 PM

r230 2003 sl500
Thanks for the tip. I'm so happy that I can live with the current repair that if it holds I'll be satisfied. When it stops raining and is not in the 90's I'll try to get that spring around the center tab with a pair of small needle nosed pliers. I don't have a garage. Sorry to hear about your encounter with another flap to repair.
Old 09-24-2011, 01:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
03 SL500, 07 S550, 92 500SEL
The part is shown under Quarter Panel, Interior Trim and it is called the side cover. You can get it on Parts.com or OEdiscountparts.com. Parts .com has good prices but the shipping and handling are absurd. On the OEdiscountparts site the price is $283 but shipping and handling is free.

It takes about 20 minutes in total to remove and install the new piece. There are 2 clips , 1 screw that hold it on. 1 Bolt to loosen and the removal of the silver end cap that you see at the front of the rear window. You should probably buy the clips as well since they do break easily.

Hi Lou
Do you have the OEdiscount part number and the instructions would be nice.... whostilo@gmail.com
Old 05-19-2012, 03:04 PM

sl500
I to have this problem. Could ou please send me the scan of the instructions how to replace this piece. Thanks rob.pederson@yahoo.com
Old 06-24-2012, 11:27 PM

SL500 2003 R230
need a plastic hing cover for 2003 Sl500 R230

I need the plastic panels that hides the hing when the top is down. I would like to have even if the hinges are broken ( I will try to fix them). Thanks. Rockn50s.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:32 PM

SL500 2003 R230
I forgot to mention that I perfer the entire panel so that I can attempt the fix while the panel off the car. I do have some creative thoughts of repairs that could benifit sl-class owners with broken hinges and or springs problems. Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:09 AM

SL500 2003 R230
I need these side covers to attemp a fix that could benefit all sl500 r230 owners. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:53 PM

SL500 2003 R230
I am working on a fix that will NOT require taking off the panel and that a 13 year old could do with out any power tools in less than 15 minutes which would sell for an estimated price of arround $25.00. I do believe that I am very close to that solution.

My drivers side plastic is broken where the torsion spring tension connected in addition to all three hing area being broken to the extent that the flap can be removed. I temporarily but a bandaid fix on it with velcro and a rubberband (it does work as least temorarily).

My passenger side plastic is broken on the rear most hing but it still works. So, I merely velcroed it so it may not get worse and blow off.

Again, I am working on a fix that a 13 year could accomplish in 15 minutes or less without power tools and without removal of the panel and that is not dependent on the plastic hinges (which I believe is the weak link).

I have tested many materials and research many product properties to the extent that I am almost ready to field test my ideals.

That being said, I would like to aquire both sides (broken) to test the durability of my fix by thousands of forced up and self downs of the door panel.

That is why I desire the broken panels. Thanks. Rockn50s.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:05 PM

SL500 2003 R230
I do need to fix both of mine. Could you email instructions and/or photos showing how to remove the panel as I am going to try to fix mine rather than buy new? Thanks. Jerry JMcSpangler@hotmail.com
Old 07-06-2012, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL55
Instructions on removal / Installation of Flap Covers

Hi... does anyone have the instructions on removing the rear quarter panel in order to install a new one with the "flaps" or "covers" for the roof hinges?

I would very much appreciate it if someone could forward those to me as I have lost both of my "flaps" and need to replace the parts.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by EsEl
Hi... does anyone have the instructions on removing the rear quarter panel in order to install a new one with the "flaps" or "covers" for the roof hinges?

I would very much appreciate it if someone could forward those to me as I have lost both of my "flaps" and need to replace the parts.
There are several options available on this and other MB forums but for my money and I think it was about $200 I just bought the part and installed the whole cover panel with the flap. Since my car was an 03 the color was not a perfect match but for the most part it is not noticable except by me. I didn't have the option of doing any of the previous repairs as my flap had flipped and flipped out onto the road somewhere between here and TX. The panel removal was pretty straight forward and was done with the top half way up. There is a screw under the read deck that doesn't show up in the instructions I got. It only took about 20 minutes start to finish. I think I got my part from Skyline.

Last edited by sprucegoose; 07-07-2012 at 01:10 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 07-07-2012, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by sprucegoose
There are several options available on this and other MB forums but for my money and I think it was about $200 I just bought the part and installed the whole cover panel with the flap. Since my car was an 03 the color was not a perfect match but for the most part it is not noticable except by me. I didn't have the option of doing any of the previous repairs as my flap had flipped and flipped out onto the road somewhere between here and TX. The panel removal was pretty straight forward and was done with the top half way up. There is a screw under the read deck that doesn't show up in the instructions I got. It only took about 20 minutes start to finish. I think I got my part from Skyline.
http://www.oediscountparts.com/ This a great site with body parts as well as everything else.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by sprucegoose
http://www.oediscountparts.com/ This a great site with body parts as well as everything else.
And on this part they provide free shipping and handling. Great site.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
Anyone know the item number on their site?

http://www.oediscountparts.com/parts...RACTABLE%20TOP
Old 07-07-2012, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kustom2k1
Anyone know the item number on their site?

http://www.oediscountparts.com/parts...RACTABLE%20TOP
Look under Body Hardware, Quarter Panel, Interior Trim, Side Cover #'s 18 &19.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
03SL55
Thank you Lou
Old 05-19-2013, 11:07 AM

2003 SL500
Lost my Hinge Cover 2003 SL500

Does anyone have a part number for a gray cover or a supplier that had one for you, on the right side? Those plastic hinge guide appear to have become brittle and frayed and the panel flew off somewhere down I-70.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:56 AM

SL 55 2007, SL 350 1975

Hi, I have the same problem and would like to install it myself. Is it possible to let me have a copy of the instructions as well? Not sure how to send my e-mail address to you?

Best regards,
JK
Old 05-20-2016, 09:59 PM

2003 SL500
NOW SELLING ON EBAY:

SPANGLER REPAIR KIT is for all 2003 - 2011
Mercedes-Benz SL R230 REAR LEFT AND RIGHT EDGE COVER TRIM PANEL to fix Boot Flap broken spring hinge.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R230: Lost plastic hinge cover for the roof mechanism on my SL