SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Tired Topic - but - I STILL need help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Question Tired Topic - but - I STILL need help.

I have a 2006 SL500, purchased used with 19K about 8 weeks ago. Garage queen purchase - near perfect. I brought it to the dealer today and asked if I can get my new Blackberry Curve connected. They said it's not prewired (nothing in the upper center console except coin holders and two buttons).

First question - (I'm comparing this to my friends 2011 E-Class). Can I get my car wired for the cell phone and intergrate with the command unit. It was impressive in the E-Class. The MB dealer said "It's not worth the money" and didn't even bother quoting. They said if it was prewired it would be 500., but since not - don't bother and they said they wouldn't recommend it anyway because it interrupts the nav and doesn't work 100 percent of the time.

Second question - The nav in the 2011 E-Class rocks!!! The HD screen, etc;. Question is - a.Can I swap out navs somehow to upgrade. b.Does MB have new DVD's each year and if so - does it make the navigation any better or improved or does it just have corrected information like POI, addresses, or ???

Third Question - How can I find out if my Navigation is voice commanded (again, its a 2006).

I feel like I'm driving a 2011 because of the condition of the car, but, the lack of telephone integration, voice command makes me feel like I've got a dinosaur - kind of embarassing.

Thank you very much - and yes, I did read all the posts back to 2006 about this in the SL but I got more confused to be honest.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:55 PM

Received 82 Likes on 44 Posts
2021 Cirrus Silver S580 AMG, 2020 Polar White GLE350
I can answer your second question. You cannot remove your current navigation system and replace it with an updated version with beautiful graphics similar to the one in the 2010 E-Class. You can purchase an updated disc for your current navigation system, but it will have the same dull gray and blue graphics...the maps, POI and other features will be updated. Also, if you get an updated disc, your "home" location, history and other data you have entered into the navigation system will be saved. Hope this helps. TwinCam
Old 10-29-2010, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Check Cartronics for the bluetooth solution. They have a plug and play solution, that's supposed the pretty good, with OEM features.