SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Justice.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 535d Touring
Justice.....

Heres a true story I have to relate that clearly demonstrates my intense frustrations with life & freedom in the UK.....

My son was involved in an accident that completely wrote-off his Ford Focus. The driver ran a red light and the Focus was driven into a lamp-post. My son, a pro footballer, suffered whiplash, burns from the airbags, and at 18, a lot of distress that subsequently (but temporarily) affected his career. The red-light runner admitted his guilt to the attending police and us, who had driven to the accident site PDQ.

Now my son, who has hotel accomodation paid for by his club, requires a parking permit. The hire car we had needed a temporary permit displayed. He put it on the back parcel shelf. He then received a parking ticket for not displaying on the front shelf, where it didn't stay or reflected in the screen.

At considerable cost and effort we finally replaced his Focus.

We have just arrived back from collecting our new SL to find two letters.

One was from the Police advising they were not intending to prosecute the red light runner that nearly killed my son.

The other was from a local authority telling us, as registered keepers, they were prosecuting us for not clearly displaying a parking permit.

Can you - really - believe it?
Old 04-27-2003, 01:42 PM

SL500
Sadly I can believe it. The UK seems to have gone to the dogs.

Not really looking forward to returning from many points of view. Germany makes the UK look like a third world country. Common sense no longer has any meaning, crime pays (well) and social responsibilities and manners are a thing of the past.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:37 PM

I totally agree with you Mustard, these days everything is backwards in the UK, it seems as though the innocent people are treated as criminals and the criminals and the police mans friend.

If you dont mind me asking how bad were the burns your son got from the airbag? Are they temporary or will they dissappear after time?

I wish your son a speedy recovery and all the best in his football career!!

Zishan
Old 04-27-2003, 02:52 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Superficial hand burns - the airbags saved his life. The whiplash is still a problem....

Love this country but truly believe our freedoms our going right down the pan.

Interesting article today in the Sunday Times showing speeding prosecutions UP 120% on 2001 but every other vehicle crime or defect prosecution down dramatically i.e. Ignoring Traffic Signs & Ped Crossings -30%, Lighting & Noise offenses -48% etc etc.

So innocuous speeding fines get the revenue - the Police are relieved of all other responsibilities other than relying on cameras..
Old 04-27-2003, 10:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Very sad for the loss of the car and confused at the same time. I've only been to UK a couple times and now i think ive gotten a completely different perspective! Very sad to hear! Hope your son gets much better soon!

Btw: when u say football is that american football, soccer, or rugby?
Old 04-28-2003, 03:48 AM

BMW 535d Touring
Its soccer Vraa.

Big in the US now, I hear, theres a few American players in the league here..