SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Manual for SL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2003, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL 500
Manual for SL500

Where can I get a manual for the SL500 (R230)? I would like to get to know the areas of my car well. I would like to know how to do small things such as oil changes, etc.
Old 05-14-2003, 09:47 PM

2004 S55
Online, interactive versions of model manuals can be found on the German Mercedes website. The link for the SL version is here:

http://www.mercedes-benz.com/d/cars/...ng/flash5.html

By the way, you can choose to view it in English.

Jeff
Old 05-15-2003, 10:13 AM

2003 SL 500
Not the manual that came with the car. I meant the manual to work on the car - it shows you how to change your oil, brakes, etc.
Originally posted by rgbyhkr
Online, interactive versions of model manuals can be found on the German Mercedes website. The link for the SL version is here:

http://www.mercedes-benz.com/d/cars/...ng/flash5.html

By the way, you can choose to view it in English.

Jeff
Old 05-17-2003, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I asked here about that a while ago and the response was that it's not available for 4 years after model introduction. However, more than any previous car, the SL is not one you mess with on your driveway - most of the light bulbs have been replaced by LEDs, for example. There's an increasing reliance on the STAR diagnosis system to test, measure and exercise the various systems in the car which cannot be replicated at home.

Opinion differs, but Mercedes are quite adamant that the service intervals created by the ASSYST function which monitors actual car use are all that is required. Modern cars and lubricants have improved so much that they have a much longer life than before. The limiting factor for oil is the absorption of water which the car measures and factors into the ASSYST equation.

You could do an intermediate oil change but you'd be wasting your money in all probability, especially if you filled it up with ten quarts of Wal-Mart's finest instead of the proper lubricant. The manual also warns about the dangers of over-enthusiastic filling of the oil which can actually damage the engine.

The future buyer of your car will want the assurance of a trouble-free life and that is best achieved by being able to prove the car has been maintained to the manufacturer's specification. Those dealer stamps are worth their weight in gold.

Like you, I like to work on cars but the SL is not the one to practice on.