SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Lights with a mind of their own !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Unhappy Lights with a mind of their own !

I have a 2003 SL500. After a recent journey in very wet conditions, I left the car parked up and locked. On returning to the car the o/s headlamp was on. Tried various switch positions etc and driving around in car. Now both main beam headlights turn themselves on at random whenever the car is parked. I've checked the connectors and any earth wires I can easily see. Any ideas what problem is ?
Old 02-08-2011, 06:07 AM

2003 SL500
Further thought after spending hours on Internet - could it be the the SAM(Signal Acquisition Module ?) has got wet. Where will I find it on R230 ?
Old 02-08-2011, 11:56 AM

2003 SL500
I've now located SAM with help of someone on another Mercedes Forum (!!!!!!). I've used a hairdryer on it and anything else that looks vaguely electrical ! Surprisingly nothing looked at all damp. Anyway, I've reconnected lights and am now nervously looking out of the window every 15 mins to make sure the lights haven't turned themselves on again. So far, so good.
I think I am now in that love hate relationship that so many SL owners seem to be in with their cars. I guess I was niaive when I bought it, expecting a Mercedes to be quality built and reliable. I have now suffered all the complaints that most owners seem to have and am currently saving up to have the rear windshield replaced because of non functioning demister. I never had this problem with my 13 year old Nissan Micra. Oh well at least the SL is still fun to drive ! ! !
Old 02-08-2011, 06:08 PM
B R

2010 Taco
You probably need to buy a new battery (the one in the trunk). I had all kinds of goofy stuff going on right before I replaced mine.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:24 AM

2003 SL500
Thanks BR.

Makes sense, as the car was never used much by previous owner and seems whenever I start it up I get the "consumer services offline" warning.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:09 PM

Temperamental cars, always have been. I have a pair of benzes, and I am beginning to realize they are more reliable at 50K miles then when they were new. My clk500 feels like granite at highway speeds, and the sl has developed a recent silkiness, maybe refinement is a better word, that relaxes me when I drive it. No doubt about it, both cars are definitely better with age. Watch me put the kibosh on my run of good luck, but it's stressful when I think about getting a new one. Develop an effective relationship with your service advisor, or a competent indie, do regular maintenance and don't skimp on brakes & tires. These things will last you a lifetime.

Last edited by rwnevinger; 02-09-2011 at 02:13 PM.