SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: "Rubberized" radio buttons/vents 2003-2004 SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
Arrow "Rubberized" radio buttons/vents 2003-2004 SL

For some reason Mercedes added a light rubber coating to the 2003-2004 SL's radio knobs and the moveable A/C Vents, perhaps it was for tactile reasons. Unfortunately, this rubberized coating tends to break down, (melts over time), and actually becomes "sticky" to the touch. My radio knobs were looking horrible as well due to the rubber coating breakdown.

I finally couldn't stand it anymore and decided I had to take action. As it turns out, I wish I had done that much sooner!

I quickly discoverd this thin rubber coating is fairly easy to remove, and once removed, the same hard shiny plastic found on the Command module is revealed which looks great! Removing the rubberized gunk from the moveable vents can be done as well to make those look just like the non-moveable (fixed) A/C vents in your dash. Once you remove the deterirating rubber, these parts look brand new!

I used a small, soft terry cloth rag and a bit of Meguiar's Cleaner Wax to remove the thin rubber coating from both the radio knobs and the moveable vents. (This wax is widely available from Auto Supply Stores, WallMart, etc).

With a bit of elbow grease the sticky, ugly-looking thin rubber coating is rubbed right off. I probably spent about 10 minutes on each of the (2) radio knobs and a bit more time on each of the (4) moveable A/C Vents. The results are stunning!. The previously grungy-looking radio knobs and A/C vents now look like brand new again, and that horrible "stickiness" is long gone. I should have done this a long time ago rather than suffering with the problem for so long. (Who knew it was such an easy fix?).

I found it best to hold the radio knobs between the thumb and forefinger of one hand while rubbing the rubber gunk off with the rag/wax using your other hand. That ensures you won't damage these moveable radio knobs. With the radio off it is OK to rotate the knobs 360* to access all areas of the knob.

I recommend a similar thumb and forefinger technique to stabllize the little "slats" that comprise the moveable A/C vents. The thin plastic slats in the A/C vents could break if you apply too much downward pressure. That said, just use a little common sense and you won't have any problems removing the sticky rubber coatings from the radio knobs or the vents. It just takes a little bit of patience and use of the aforementioned rag/wax/elbow grease.

I probably spent an hour or so total, but it was well worth it to have the interior of my 2003 SL looking like new again. These deteriorating rubberized items had bugged me for a long time!

I suspect other owners of the 2003-2004 SL's have experienced this same ugly, sticky, rubber coating issue as well. Hopefully you can benefit from my experience in removing it.

Just do it! You'll be so glad you did!

Last edited by bob55; 02-10-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SL65
Worked great! Thanks for the tip! That was definitely an annoyance!
Old 03-27-2015, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211 E63 AMG / W124 E500 / Lancia Delta Integrale Evo2 / Lotus Elise 111s MK1
Great tip ! (I know, it's a few years old ...)

Worked for me although at the begining you feel like it's not doing anything. Be careful though with the central button for warnings, the paint from the triangle started to go away as well.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Liquid or Paste Meguiars Cleaner Wax?

Originally Posted by bob55
For some reason Mercedes added a light rubber coating to the 2003-2004 SL's radio knobs and the moveable A/C Vents, perhaps it was for tactile reasons. Unfortunately, this rubberized coating tends to break down, (melts over time), and actually becomes "sticky" to the touch. My radio knobs were looking horrible as well due to the rubber coating breakdown.

I finally couldn't stand it anymore and decided I had to take action. As it turns out, I wish I had done that much sooner!

I quickly discoverd this thin rubber coating is fairly easy to remove, and once removed, the same hard shiny plastic found on the Command module is revealed which looks great! Removing the rubberized gunk from the moveable vents can be done as well to make those look just like the non-moveable (fixed) A/C vents in your dash. Once you remove the deterirating rubber, these parts look brand new!

I used a small, soft terry cloth rag and a bit of Meguiar's Cleaner Wax to remove the thin rubber coating from both the radio knobs and the moveable vents. (This wax is widely available from Auto Supply Stores, WallMart, etc).

With a bit of elbow grease the sticky, ugly-looking thin rubber coating is rubbed right off. I probably spent about 10 minutes on each of the (2) radio knobs and a bit more time on each of the (4) moveable A/C Vents. The results are stunning!. The previously grungy-looking radio knobs and A/C vents now look like brand new again, and that horrible "stickiness" is long gone. I should have done this a long time ago rather than suffering with the problem for so long. (Who knew it was such an easy fix?).

I found it best to hold the radio knobs between the thumb and forefinger of one hand while rubbing the rubber gunk off with the rag/wax using your other hand. That ensures you won't damage these moveable radio knobs. With the radio off it is OK to rotate the knobs 360* to access all areas of the knob.

I recommend a similar thumb and forefinger technique to stabllize the little "slats" that comprise the moveable A/C vents. The thin plastic slats in the A/C vents could break if you apply too much downward pressure. That said, just use a little common sense and you won't have any problems removing the sticky rubber coatings from the radio knobs or the vents. It just takes a little bit of patience and use of the aforementioned rag/wax/elbow grease.

I probably spent an hour or so total, but it was well worth it to have the interior of my 2003 SL looking like new again. These deteriorating rubberized items had bugged me for a long time!

I suspect other owners of the 2003-2004 SL's have experienced this same ugly, sticky, rubber coating issue as well. Hopefully you can benefit from my experience in removing it.

Just do it! You'll be so glad you did!
Liquid or Paste Meguiars Cleaner Wax?