SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: ABC suspension snyc

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl55 amg
ABC suspension snyc

I have a 2005 SL55 with 30K miles. I have had the ABC flushed, the valve block replaced and the rear struts replaced.
I still have a funky left to right motion when accelerating. The suspention also feels like it is constantly fighting to find a balance. Also it seems to follow imperfections in the road and seems to "overreact" to small bumps in the road.

Dealer doesn't seem to have a solution (accept to replace everything one piece at a time). I have spent nearly $10K so far and still have this problem.

Anyone have a soloution?
Old 04-29-2011, 12:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL 55 and a GT 3000 vr4 Here's my car: http://home.online.no/~ludvs/index.cfm
Abc suspension

Are you sure that it's NOT normal?

My car also behaves much like yours, especially over small bumps, or if the road isn't flat (a problem here in norway).

I haven't tried another car with abc but I just accept it as it is.

The springs don't have a lot of room to travel so I just take it for granted.

Here's a quote from jeremy clarkson in a review of the new sl 63.

He's talking of his old car (sl 55).

First of all, there was the suspension. Most of the time it was fairly soft and comfortable, even when you asked it to be hard and sporty. That was fine. It suited the lazy, cruising nature of the car. But because it was designed by someone with a laptop, rather than someone with a lathe, it couldn’t cope when it was presented with a sharp ridge or pothole. The whole car would skip sideways in a move that was not dangerous but was unsettling and uncomfortable.

You car read the full story here:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle3945109.ece
Old 05-02-2011, 08:24 AM

sl55 amg
SL55 AMG ABC issues

Hmmmm? I was hoping that this unatural behavior was not "normal to this otherwise very satisfying vehicle. It just seems like the sensors are not sync'd and tend to fight each other.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
I do tend to get a bit of sideways skitter over small, sharp bumps or when accelerating over an uneven surface (i.e.- tire grooves in an old asphalt road) which it basically just how a 2+ ton vehicle with dynamic suspension will operate sometimes. It does take a bit of time for hydraulic fluid to be pumped around, so we won't get millisecond precision with those suspension components.
On the other hand, left-to-right movement while accelerating on a mostly flat surface should not occur unless you are absolutely flooring it with that supercharged V8. Perhaps there is an alignment problem, an incorrectly mounted tire or some sort of "give" in your suspension that should not be there. That said, the stability control will kick in on the SL55 even on warm, dry days from a standing start. This could be what you are feeling.

-Rook3300
Old 05-04-2011, 07:56 AM

2007 E63, 2006 C55
RE: ABC

I believe your problem is torque.

I had the same condition, the rear suspension would continually oscillate from side to side under hard acceleration. I had a a Quaife LSD installed in my 600; it helps considerably. A second option is to get aftermarket rear toe links which apparently tie things down better. I don't find I need toe links after the Quaife.