SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Leak at Front / Rear Window seal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 07:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SL500
Leak at Front / Rear Window seal

I've done a search and found a couple of posts under wind noise and Technical Service Bulletins, but wanted to see if anyone had anything additional to add.
There is a bit of wind noise coming from the seal point between the front and rear windows at highway speeds. I also noticed that a few drops of water are coming in when at the carwash.
I've scanned the posting for Service Bulletins and found:
P-63_20-06 OCT 04 Body - 'B' Pillar Cracking Noise

Not sure if that's the one or not that might cover this. Other folks have indicated they took their car in to the dealership to fix. So I suspect there are some calibrations that can be done to either window rails to tighten the fit.
I have the aftermarket Chrysler warranty and not jazzed about the $100 deductible to fix. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks - David
Old 05-02-2011, 02:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL500
Originally Posted by db2001
...from the seal point between the front and rear windows ...
I don't understand which seals you're talking about here. Do you mean the seal for the roof (front and rear sections), the seal for the side windows or the seal for the rear windshield where it meets the black strip on the side? Not sure how old your vehicle is but it may be too late to apply the seal lubricant and they may have to be replaced. If so, I'd leave this work to the dealer.

-Rook3300
Old 05-02-2011, 02:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SL500
It's the seal (seems to be attached to the rear side window) between the front / rear windows on the side of the car.
I checked with the dealer and they indicated there was no recall on the item and they would need to look at it starting @ $119 per hour of labor.

I guess I am headed that direction in the next few days / weeks...