SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Newbie's tale of woes!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sl500 , E350
Newbie's tale of woes!

Hi Everybody. Wish I had joined this forum years ago. My wife has a 2006 SL 500 which she loves. On tuesday It died! There were so many waring lights she was bewildered! When she got home it seemed it was the 'starter' battery was the culprit so I thought it's simple enough I will just buy the battery & change it. Wont bother MB Assist or the dealer where I bought the battery. Oh if only I had known! The warning lights were still there the braking was still unassisted etc etc. So I had AAA tow it to the dealer. Free it was too.
So far I have bought a battery which was around $150 I think. the the dealer starts!! Needs a new alternator $900 plus tax fitted. Needs a new SAM $600 plus tax fitted. With bitd & pieces it's a $1756 repair. All because the alternator failed. Trawling through this forum elicits a theme to this problem. Seems that alternator causes more than its fair share of problems. You cannot get it new either from Bosch they only supply remanufactured as they call them.
Now we have always used MB dealer but I am beginning to think having priced these replacement parts that alternative dealers may be on the cards. Agreed/
BTW there really is a wealth of info on this forum. My Car? a new E350 but I change every 3 years. Wise or what!
Old 06-05-2011, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 SL550 Tectite Black
Originally Posted by VitalSpark
Hi Everybody. Wish I had joined this forum years ago. My wife has a 2006 SL 500 which she loves. On tuesday It died! There were so many waring lights she was bewildered! When she got home it seemed it was the 'starter' battery was the culprit so I thought it's simple enough I will just buy the battery & change it. Wont bother MB Assist or the dealer where I bought the battery. Oh if only I had known! The warning lights were still there the braking was still unassisted etc etc. So I had AAA tow it to the dealer. Free it was too.
So far I have bought a battery which was around $150 I think. the the dealer starts!! Needs a new alternator $900 plus tax fitted. Needs a new SAM $600 plus tax fitted. With bitd & pieces it's a $1756 repair. All because the alternator failed. Trawling through this forum elicits a theme to this problem. Seems that alternator causes more than its fair share of problems. You cannot get it new either from Bosch they only supply remanufactured as they call them.
Now we have always used MB dealer but I am beginning to think having priced these replacement parts that alternative dealers may be on the cards. Agreed/
BTW there really is a wealth of info on this forum. My Car? a new E350 but I change every 3 years. Wise or what!
Wise! And Welcome aboard.