SL/R230: SL55/SL600 Buyer Checklist?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes S55 AMG
SL55/SL600 Buyer Checklist?

Hi,

Could not find anything on this topic on this forum, so I thought I'd start a new post. I am thinking of buying a used SL 55 or 600 (leaning towards the 600 with RennTech ECU/TCU and Lorinser skirts/lowering module), circa 2004-2005. I would love to hear from current SL owners about:

1) what to look for when buying a used 2004/2005 SL with about 40k miles on it. What are the items that break often and are expensive to fix?

2) Also, anything specific to the RennTech (I read that the OEM intercooler pump is something that breaks often - how do I check for this?)

3) Any thoughts on who you took your used car for inspection before making the purchase? Is an MB dealership a good idea (the car I am eyeing is being sold by a non-MB dealer). Or should you take it to an independent mechanic who specializes in imports?

Thanks!
SC
Old 07-08-2011, 08:25 AM

2002 CLK320 Sport Coupe
I am also looking at a SL550 and would like to see this answered please.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:06 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
I posted a brief answer in the SL AMG forum if you are interested.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by sumanchaudhuri
Hi,

Could not find anything on this topic on this forum, so I thought I'd start a new post. I am thinking of buying a used SL 55 or 600 (leaning towards the 600 with RennTech ECU/TCU and Lorinser skirts/lowering module), circa 2004-2005. I would love to hear from current SL owners about:

1) what to look for when buying a used 2004/2005 SL with about 40k miles on it. What are the items that break often and are expensive to fix?

2) Also, anything specific to the RennTech (I read that the OEM intercooler pump is something that breaks often - how do I check for this?)

3) Any thoughts on who you took your used car for inspection before making the purchase? Is an MB dealership a good idea (the car I am eyeing is being sold by a non-MB dealer). Or should you take it to an independent mechanic who specializes in imports?

Thanks!
SC
1. The ABC suspension system is a trouble spot on the 230's as is the top mechanism. The little flaps on the covering when the top is open/closed are of 2 type; ones that are broken or ones that are going to break.

2. The OEM intercooler pump specifically on the 55's is a weak point and can be replaced fairly inexpensively with na Johnson replacement pump. RennTech is a quality aftermarket tuner and perhaps the most expensive out there but you can't go wrong with their products. The Lorinser skirts in my opinion are a little too "Ricey" for my tastes and start to make the car look like a boy racer.

3. Find a good Indy shop who specializes in MB's if you want a fair evaluation. Over the years I have found the MB service to be marginal at best but you do get free scratches and swirls when you take the car to an MB Stealer.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
The best thing I can say is the same thing I do when I buy a used car for myself or a client.

Always look for a car that the service history is traceable.

Always get a PPI done at a facility of YOUR choice.

Buying a used car needs to be an unemotional experience. You need to take a look at each car and history objectively, and be prepared to walk if your dream ride turns out to be a dog. There are lots out there.

I have a service that we are doing where we will work with a client and their budget. I usually can put a good car in their driveway for less than they could do it on their own. PM or call me.