SL/R230: R230 SL350 Boot trunk lock problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL350, E320 Petrol, CLK 320 Cabriolet & Ferrari 360 Spyder,
R230 SL350 Boot trunk lock problem and PSE fix

Hi All,

My 16,500 mile 2003 SL350 boot lid kept popping open a few seconds after closing it - it was latching and then clicking open as though the remote open was being pressed.

Sometimes it would stay closed for a while, but would open even when driving, eventually it would not stay locked at all.

I disconected the boot battery and managed to close the boot.

I went away on holiday for 6 weeks, and noticed that the central locking and boot soft close was not working even after a full recharge of the battery.

Checked out the PSE and had the dreaded water ingress problem, took out the PSE, dismantled it, cleaned up all electrical connector block contacts and dried the unit out with a hair drier.

I also made a very good fix to the actual unit to help prevent it getting wet again, by completly wrapping the unit with a strong polythene bag and then sealing it with duct tape around the wires and vacuum pipes before putting it back into its foam surround, which was also sat on some plastic bubble wrap to lift it off the wet floor.

This fix appears to prevent further ingress of water as the PSE unit is now completly sealed inside the foam surround and around the wire and vacuum pipes where water could run down to the unit.

I have also cleared the boot seal drains, silicone sealed the 'C' pillar seals with 'Loctite 5940' and coated all the boot rubbers with Einszett Gummi Pflege rubber joint sealant.

Even if the PSE pump foam does manage to get wet, the unit is now well protected inside an envelope of sealed polythene.

All is now back in place, with the central locking and soft boot close functioning perfectly, however the remote boot open from the key fob or the door switch inside is not working?

There is no boot open Red warning light showing on the door switch when the boot is opened with the key, it is as though there is no power going to this subsystem?

I have checked all 6 fuses relating to the central locking system and they are fine. I have pulled the 20 amp PSE fuse many times to reset it, but no joy.

I have tried my other spare new and unused remote fob and that also opens the doors, but the boot still will not work - so it is not a key fob problem.

There is no clicking or latching noise from inside the car when the boot release is operated from the fob or door switch and so it appears the function is completly dead and not fuctioning.

Any ideas or suggestions???

Many thanks,

Steve

Last edited by kimpy; 08-29-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:41 AM

350SL 2003 3.7
R230 sl350 boot latch opening randomly

Hi - I am just about to try your fix as have same symptom - just wondered did you solve the remote button and switch not working?
Old 02-02-2014, 11:05 AM

SL350, E320 Petrol, CLK 320 Cabriolet & Ferrari 360 Spyder,
Originally Posted by austinn
Hi - I am just about to try your fix as have same symptom - just wondered did you solve the remote button and switch not working?

Hi,

It was a simple fix in the end - Took it to my independent Merc shop and they just had to connect it to the diagnostic and reset or alter a program setting.

The internal switch and fob works perfect and after all that troubleshooting, no mechanical work was required.

Hope yours is just as easy to reset.

Regards,

Steve