SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: thinking about the 2013 SL...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thinking about the 2013 SL...

Hey folks…back from a hiatus….
I am looking into buying a new car… I would like to get the 2013 SL 550, but a bit concerned about the quality of benz products. As my really old threads show, I’ve not had good experience with my last purchase. I had a lot of electrical problems from lights to shrinking light fixtures. These are minor problems that really aggravate especially considering the price of the car. Thankfully I’ve not had any serious engine problems (knock on wood). Has Mercedes improved? I realize this is a benz forum and most around here are going to be somewhat partial to the car, but would just like to hear your experience nonetheless. So far from the little bits I’ve read here and there, there seems to be some issues with ABS, roof leaks….which sound like very expensive items to repair.

Thanks in advance for your input, and I'll keep monitoring this forum...
Old 09-03-2011, 04:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL 65 AMG, Porsche 911 (993), 2014 Cayenne GTS, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
My experience with my first MB as far as reliability has not been good relative to experiences with Porsche, BMW, Lexus, or Infiniti.........

Mercedes cars seem to be over engineered and more complicated........thus more things to go wrong.........when they run and there are no problems they have excellent performance.....
Old 09-03-2011, 06:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 SL500
Buy a Porsche!
Old 09-04-2011, 08:46 AM

Depends on the day...
Originally Posted by abiazis
.........when they run and there are no problems they have excellent performance.....
And I think that's the "driving" force that keeps a lot of us coming back. And there is no denying their safety features. And... they are cool looking cars with a lot of status.

But it can be quite irritating to spend that much money and have to put up with a bunch of nichol and dime issues.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL 65 AMG, Porsche 911 (993), 2014 Cayenne GTS, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
Agree.........it is a shame that there are little ticky tack stuff that happens that creates trips to the mechanic, especially anything electronic........Japanese have all German cars beat there......as far as reliability.......

Porsche seem to leak, BMW seem to creak and Mercedes seem to make us meek...
Old 09-04-2011, 10:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SL500R, 500SL, C230, 560SL, 450SL, 450SLC, 300CD.
I traded my new BMW after 6 months of frustrating ownership.
I've had more luck with jaguar for that matter.
Porsche is a not exactly comparable to SL when it come to spaciousness, luxury and creature comfort. Furthermore they have their share of oil leak and powertrain problems.
I buy Sl because of their incomparable heritage of solidity safety and durability.
Modifications in wheel sizes, height, power delivery and electronics misses the point and causes dire consequences, IMHO.
Cheers.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:14 PM

There’s no doubt about the SL’s heritage in the spectrum of automotive history. It is one of the cars I am thinking about, and in particular brands. Yes, it’s true…you hear very little about Lexus reliability for obvious reasons. So I’m attempting to isolate my priorities, but not liking it at the same time. Really if it all came down to it, I would end up being practical and driving a Honda accord or a Toyota Camry. So here we go… This car is going to be a daily driver.

My priority so far…

1) Hard Top convertible.
2) Reliability
3) Design (this starts to get subjective…)
4) Prestige
5) Maintenance Costs.
6) Safety (It seems most cars in this caliber come with above average measures)
7) Features (It’s great to have enhanced night vision, but not important if it stops working )
8) Resale value (This is not important as I’m kind of a sentimentalist with most things)

Thanks for the inputs, and I look forward to reading more of your thoughts...

(It's funny when I look back at my expectations on a car this price...was it at all reasonable to expect a higher level of reliability only because something cost more???? Hmmm... So why do we hold such unreliability at such high esteem??? I have a really nice 18K daydate that is a whole lot less accurate than a cheap sportsmans Timex....but we prefer it over the other....)
Old 09-05-2011, 08:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Silver CLS550, Blk M45, Lexus GX470 & an endless fleet of Avis Premium Rental Cars
Originally Posted by redbrick
I would like to get the 2013 SL 550...
Was my nap too long or something? Do we have an idea of what that will look like? I think they are still spy shooting the musterious 2012s.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:14 PM

Oops, thanks for pointing that out to me Cakedaddy. I meant to say that I was looking into the 2012 model. Sorry about that...
Old 09-06-2011, 06:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 CLS550, 2009 SL550
I have a 2009 550SL with 14,000 mies. No problems and a pleasure to drive. Maintenance is expensive.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by geharmon
I have a 2009 550SL with 14,000 mies. No problems and a pleasure to drive. Maintenance is expensive.
Such a new car...your maintenance should be free right? My CLK came with free service A and B for 4 years.... Has mercedes changed this policy? I also recall that I didn't have to do much, only the wierd electrical problems...
Old 09-19-2011, 11:52 PM

mercedes 550 s
mercedes

I have a 2011 S 550 and it is great . the best car I have ever had. No problems. I have the sport package and amg wheels and pano roof. I also have a 2009 911 cab. Very good car but not as tight as the Benz. I am looking forward to the 2013 SL and its new design.

Last edited by bokewo; 09-19-2011 at 11:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-28-2011, 07:25 PM

SL550
I love my SL550 and I am looking forward to the new SL, but I will never buy another Mercedes on its first release year. The last Mercedes I bought in their release year (2003), was delivered to my office with 37 miles on it, got towed the next morning from my office to the dealer (with still 37 miles on it) because of a computer glitch….. about a dozen glitches and visits to the dealer later within six months, I got rid of the car after I had had a complete break failure at 90 MPH, due to a (guess what?) computer glitch…
Give it a year or two, make sure Mercedes has got their S&*t together, especially if there are so many changes in the car from the current model.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 GLC 300
I like my 2003, but bought it used and do most of the work myself.
For the price of one 2013, you could get a 2007 and a spare...

Old 10-10-2011, 05:01 PM

SL500
OK, for what it's worth, my opinion on issues you raised (whatever you decide, enjoy!):

Originally Posted by redbrick
There’s no doubt about the SL’s heritage in the spectrum of automotive history. It is one of the cars I am thinking about, and in particular brands. Yes, it’s true…you hear very little about Lexus reliability for obvious reasons. So I’m attempting to isolate my priorities, but not liking it at the same time. Really if it all came down to it, I would end up being practical and driving a Honda accord or a Toyota Camry. So here we go… This car is going to be a daily driver.

My priority so far…

1) Hard Top convertible.
No doubt, the SL is the way to go! Mercedes invented this (I think).
2) Reliability
A crap shoot if you ask me, but I think MB are pretty reliable.
3) Design (this starts to get subjective…)
IMHO, the SL is one of the most beautifully designed cars ever!
4) Prestige
An SL has much prestige for sure. Not too many cars will exceed it in this area.
5) Maintenance Costs.
There are high, but it comes with owning a high prestige car.
6) Safety (It seems most cars in this caliber come with above average measures)
MB extremely safe. Princess Di's body guard survived that crash!
7) Features (It’s great to have enhanced night vision, but not important if it stops working )
Tough to comment.
8) Resale value (This is not important as I’m kind of a sentimentalist with most things)
MB depreciate like a rock!

Thanks for the inputs, and I look forward to reading more of your thoughts...

(It's funny when I look back at my expectations on a car this price...was it at all reasonable to expect a higher level of reliability only because something cost more???? Hmmm... So why do we hold such unreliability at such high esteem??? I have a really nice 18K daydate that is a whole lot less accurate than a cheap sportsmans Timex....but we prefer it over the other....)
Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 SL550, 2015 C300
Reliability

No doubt M-B had relability problems in 90s and into the 2000s. My 2001 CLK was a wonderful car but the electronics (and other major parts) were problematical. Fortunately I had the extended warranty which avoided big financial hits. Kept that car until 2008 when I sold it with 90K miles. Took European delivery of 2009 SL550 which now has 38K miles. It has been bulletproof and wonderful to drive. Still tight and rattle/squeak free. No expenses other than regular maintenace. My wife just turned in her 2008 C350 which was completely trouble-free and we just took delivery of a 2012 C350 which I'm hoping will be just as good. Bottom line is I believe M-B has overcome its reliability issues of years ago, and the various studies bear that out. Of course, if you want total reliability, I believe Honda/Acura is tops, along with the other Japanese companies. We had two Lexuses (Lexi?) which had issues and were nice looking but unexciting to drive. Question is always the same: what floats your boat?