SL/R230: I test drove an 05 and have some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 190E
I test drove an 05 and have some questions

Hi all

I have been considering an SL for a while and would appreciate your opinions my thoughts and concerns that I have which I'll put below. What do you get for helping me out? You get that warm feeling in your belly, and the respect of your peers across the Atlantic pond.

I test drove an 05 yesterday, but actually an 03 or 04 car is more in budget.

The car was at a dealer and had 61k miles. The wheels were badly corroded and the black edges of the rear window were blotchy and 'corroding' somehow. Is this normal?

I have to park the car in the street in a line with the neighbours cars. The street is a narrow dead-end road, but not a thru-road so at least it doesn't get too much traffic. However do you think this is bad idea for parking an SL? Is it susceptible to damage from other people trying to 'parallel park' nearby? Is it expensive to repair if I do get minor damage? Am I mad to even consider this?

Do you think it's a bad idea to park it outside and use it all year round? It would still be used during low temperatures in winter. Can it handle this or will the roof seals go bad or something?

Can I change the steering sensitivity? It feels very light, especially at low speeds, after my 190e.

Can I turn off ESP? I didn't look for a button yesterday. I would like to have the choice.

Am I mad to buy this car? I am coming from a 190E 16v which is cheaper in every way and doesn't depreciate much. I don't earn big $$$ but I am buying the car with savings. I won't do many miles in the car, maybe 10k per year and hopefully less.

One last question. I want a car that is quite 'fresh', I.e. Under 50k miles. So should I get a low mileage 03 car, or should I focus on condition instead and consider a higher mileage 04 or even 05 car?

Last edited by pentoman; 10-09-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:37 PM

2004 SL500, 2003 S55, 2002 S430 RIP, 1999 ML430, 1999 SLK Sports 230 Compressor "Sold"
The rear windows trims can be replaced for about 60.00 a piece and it seem like it is a common issue.
Regarding your parking situation a lot will depend on climate. Also regarding dings and repairs on body cost may be significant. When I lived in SF as a young man and had to park on the streets I remembered many surprises to my car.
You cant change the steering sensitivity but can disable ESP.
Another thing is, are you capable of working on the car?
Factor in maintenance and repairs for like abc suspension, gas tank baffle if you do not get an extended warranty.
It's your money and your choice. Just be prepared for it.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 GLC 300
A cheap R230 SL will turn out to be very costly real fast.
If you want a much cheaper car to buy, look at the prior R129 version; decent ones are less than half the cost of a 2003.
Do lots of research.
And if you can't do most of your own work, I'd look at something else.
And, lastly, I'd never, ever park on the street routinely.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:02 AM

86 190E
Thanks for the replies.

I am in the UK. Climate is temperate. Possible snow, usually just rain and wind.

Being in the UK I can buy a 350 model which has no ABC suspension, just regular springs and shocks, which is what I will do. I have driven one and was happy with the suspension performance (and the engine performance). This decision removes some of the cost worries about ABC. I won't be buying the cheapest R230 - I'll make sure it's a good one.

I can work on the car myelf for some stuff but not when it comes to putting the car in the air and major components like suspension. However my parents run a workshop and are happy to do work on the car for me, although as you can imagine this doesn't come 'free' as such!

Unfortunately the R129 doesn't interest me. They've been in budget for years but I don't like the styling and didn't enjoy the one 500 I've tried. Additionally the driving position is worse for my height.

So it's still street parking that's the concern. What's the main risk about it? Intentional damage? Accidental damage?
Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 GLC 300
Theft and vandalism over here.
I had a R129 and now a 2003.
No comparison -- the R230 is a much better driver and avoiding the ABC will make service a lot less of an issue.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:14 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
Condition is more important than mileage in my opinion.

In terms of parking onthe street, you should know if your neighbors are good at parking or not. Often in a big city people come and go and don't give a second thought to playing bumper tag in order to get into or out of a space. But if most of the people near you are your neighbors, they should be nicer to your car.

The car is not a museum piece. Drive it and enjoy it. If you are really worried about bumper dings, get one of those silly looking things you can hang over your bumpers to protect them.

Get the car, enjoy it, and make the most of the time you have!

Best,

Z