SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: NAV - "No DVD Available"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500
NAV - "No DVD Available"

I have a 2006 SL500. I recently had a problem where my CD changer cartridge would not eject. This required removing the CD changer to fix it (big job). Since then my Nav system has quit working. Now, when I turn on the Nav system, I get a message that says loading DVD, or something close to that, and then after a minute or two I get a message stating, "No DVD Available". I ejected the NAV DVD, located in the trunk , and cleaned it, but that didn't help.

I think after doing research I need to get into the Engineering Menu. Does anyone know how to do that?

Also, can we please stay on topic (2005 to 2008 SL500 or whatever years have the same Nav System). I just read a thread that was 32 pages long and most those posts were off topic (i.e., MP3, movies, etc.) making everything confusing.

Also, I heard another way to do it. I read a post where a guy bought a new nav dvd to upgrade and when he stuck the new DVD in he got the same messages I'm getting. So then he reinstalled the original DVD and it generated the same messages so he took it to the dealer and the dealer tech unplugged the power for ten minutes and then repowered it and everything was fine.

I tried getting to the fuse, which is under the right storage compartment in back of the front seat, but can't get my hands on the Nav fuse. Because of that I'm thinking about disconnecting the battery, but I'm not sure which battery provides the power to the rear fuse board. I'm thinking it's the one in the truck, but am not sure. Does anyone know which battery feeds that fuse box that's under the rear storage compartment?

Thanks.

Last edited by hooperdoski; 10-11-2011 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Fixed a Problem
Old 10-12-2011, 12:27 PM

SL500
I disconnected the battery in the trunk this morning and left it disconnected for 15 minutes or more then I reconnected it and tried using the Nav System and ended up getting the same messages as before.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL500, 2007 C230
try a new disc?
Old 10-15-2011, 06:19 PM

SL500
I hate the idea of spending $100 plus on an upgraded disc, which is what I really want, only to find out I still have to get into the engineer mode.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:02 PM

'14 E350, '03 H-D FXDL
Originally Posted by hooperdoski
I hate the idea of spending $100 plus on an upgraded disc, which is what I really want, only to find out I still have to get into the engineer mode.
Thanks.
Having the dealer pull the power plug from the DVD nav drive in the trunk sounds like one of my previous posts on this issue. The dealer did not do anything with my battery or fuses; they simply unplugged the power cord to the DVD nav drive; waited about 10 minutes, then plugged the power cord back in; waited another 5 minutes, then started the engine, then re-inserted my original nav disc that came with my 06 SL500, and everything worked fine. When I returned home, I removed the old nav disc, and inserted a new 2010 nav disc, and all worked fine and still is. Seems the DVD nav drives are pretty touchy. Good luck.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:28 PM

SL500
Sgooter, thank you very much for posting. I had read your similar post somewhere else, but this one has more detail. The only question is, how did the tech pull the power plug? I looked at mine and in order to get to the plug it looks like it will be a big project pulling out the trunk's interior panels to access it and I don't see any other way to get to the cord except for the small hole on the side panel, but using that hole to get it out doesn't look like it will work. Can you explain how he got to the cord's plug and disconnected it?

Thanks again.

Last edited by hooperdoski; 10-17-2011 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Add Wording
Old 10-23-2011, 11:42 AM

'14 E350, '03 H-D FXDL
Originally Posted by hooperdoski
Sgooter, thank you very much for posting. I had read your similar post somewhere else, but this one has more detail. The only question is, how did the tech pull the power plug? I looked at mine and in order to get to the plug it looks like it will be a big project pulling out the trunk's interior panels to access it and I don't see any other way to get to the cord except for the small hole on the side panel, but using that hole to get it out doesn't look like it will work. Can you explain how he got to the cord's plug and disconnected it?
Thanks again.
Sorry...haven't been at the forum in a while. Unfortunately, I don't know how the tech pulled the power plug from the DVD Nav drive.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:55 AM

SL500
Bummer!

Thanks Sgooter