SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: seat ventilation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 sl500
seat ventilation

is seat ventilation air conditioned? does a/c system have to be on for a/c in seats to work? I don't feel any air coming out of seats .
Old 06-24-2003, 06:31 PM

2007 CLS550 (White w/black interior);2008 smart CABRIO
Cool Seat Ventilation (more)

I have used the (3 speed) seat ventilation feature in my SL500 regullarly for over 15 months--It works very well, and provides significant personal comfort improvement, particularly on long trips.

As I understand its operation--air in the cabin is pulled through the little holes in the leather back of the seat--so whatever "conditioned air " is in the cabin passes along the clothing on your back, hence eliminates a moisure (SWEAT) built up. By providing that low velocity, almost undetectable air movememt, moisture build up is prevented, and your back feels very comfortable. The air velocity is so low, and no fan noise nor air noise is present in this system.

I do find that I feel more comfortable by NOT wearing heavy clothing or coats, because that insulates/isolates the body from the back of the seat--and perspiration might still occur "inside the outer ware". (like raining inside of a rain coat that doesn't "breathe", but not getting wet from the rain)

Based on my experience over many months, I highly recommend the Seat Ventilation feature on the 2003 SL 500.

Giff Albright, State College, PA
Old 06-24-2003, 09:44 PM
Almost a Member!

i've experienced this in a S500 and i don't feel a damn thing, i'm debating if this is worth the money
Old 06-24-2003, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

09' 335i coupe
the only thing i dont feel at all is the seat cooling, the seat warming in the s500 works fine, and in the sl too!
Old 06-25-2003, 07:31 AM

Cool seat ventilation (more again!)

The seat ventilation IS NOT SUPPOSED TO COOL - it is supposed to ventilate--remove excess moisture between your back and the seat back--so it feels comfortable. Mine works fine--as intended!
Giff Albright, State College, PA,
Old 06-25-2003, 03:30 PM

2005 SLK350
i wish it would cool though... it does get pretty hot with the top down
Old 06-26-2003, 06:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
The seats have a number of small fans made by the German manufacturer Papst whose products are more often found in professional electronic equipment.

I agree you cannot feel a blast of air from the seat ventilation but giff is correct that it improves driving comfort by keeping you dry. As for whether they are worth the money, only you can decide the benefit in comparison with the other options you may be considering.

The blue LEDs are pretty cool anyway...
Attached Thumbnails seat ventilation-dsc_0053.jpg  
Old 06-26-2003, 09:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by blueSL
The blue LEDs are pretty cool anyway...
Papst makes a lot of computer cpu heatsink fans

Also in addition to the leds, (ultra cool btw), they start out like this

The bottom half of the circle is a button, so is the top half and the led's being the splitter.

You press the bottom half once, and all three blue (cool) LED's light up, one more time and only two, press it thrice and only one LED is lit up.

The top buttom is for heating, I can't remember the sequence for that, remember i'm in Texas. It's hot all year 'round.
Old 06-27-2003, 08:25 PM

more on Seat Vent. PAPST FANS!

Here is more info regarding the Papst fans used for the seating ventition------

--Leading manufacturer of equipment cooling fans and solutions Papst is targeting the automotive market in a move designed to maximise the potential for its high quality fans and small motors, adding value and appeal to a wide range of vehicles.

Long known for its high performance and long lasting products, Papst has geared up its infrastructure for a direct assault on the market. The company already has strong links with the automotive sector having provided cooling fans for use in seat cooling applications in Mercedes S class and other manufacturers' vehicles. Solutions have also been provided for F1 use in a variety of pit stop cooling applications (from Papst web site)

Giff Albright, State College, PA
Old 12-04-2011, 07:06 AM

SL 55 AMG 2003
I have the same question actually and i still cant find an answer
does the seat ventilation turn on in warm and AC mode? or do you need to press a button for it to turn on. I cant feel **** neither. I thought you would be able to feel something. Im not even sure if mine as malfunctioning
Old 12-05-2011, 12:15 AM
B R

2010 Taco
Originally Posted by 55rider
I have the same question actually and i still cant find an answer
does the seat ventilation turn on in warm and AC mode? or do you need to press a button for it to turn on. I cant feel **** neither. I thought you would be able to feel something. Im not even sure if mine as malfunctioning
Look at the picture of the buttons above, they control seat functions, and little leds come on to indicate function. They operate by themselves. You could have the AC blasting & the seat heaters on at the same time if you so desire.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:31 PM

SL 55 AMG 2003
Guys I just dont get it! Help me out here
I hace pics now, just took them. see pics
My seat button shows red lights. I dont get the blue one! I seem to have red lights. none, one or two
Holes in my seat. Nothing comes out. I put an extra pic of the instruments for AC so maybe you can see whats going on. Let me know! i work out a lot and need that cooling air man!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:47 PM

SL 55 AMG 2003
I just cant seem to get the pics to upload . i dont believe this. i have them under 1.2 mb and as small as possible
Attached Thumbnails seat ventilation-seatventilation1.jpg   seat ventilation-seatventilation2.jpg   seat ventilation-seatventilation3.jpg   seat ventilation-seatventilation4.jpg   seat ventilation-seatventilation5.jpg  

Old 12-05-2011, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl500
no blue lights = no vent option. just heat, i guess.

what happens when press lower part of the button?
Old 12-05-2011, 05:10 PM

SL 55 AMG 2003
why then would there be holes in my seat? ive seen many Sl55 's with leather seats without the holes
Old 12-06-2011, 03:24 PM
B R

2010 Taco
Originally Posted by 55rider
why then would there be holes in my seat? ive seen many Sl55 's with leather seats without the holes
Because it makes the car faster by lighter weight.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:28 PM

SL 55 AMG 2003
Originally Posted by B R
Because it makes the car faster by lighter weight.
come on? is this seriouse ? how much weight difference would the holes give
what about if the owner takes his car threw taco bell drive 3 times a week.
holes wont help all that much after 3 weeks will they?
Old 12-07-2011, 01:18 PM

2005 SL55 AMG
In the US spec cars, the cooling is indicated by blue lights and the heating by red. It looks like your car is equipped with the option for both, but I am not 100% sure as I think the cooling in mine had a fan icon like the BlueSL post picture above. You know whay I am not sure? because to me the option is useless. It is not an AC seat. It merely blows some air out the holes to provide comfort. It can help cool a hot leather seat in the summer (sort of) but it's not going to cool you after a work out. If you cannot hear a fan blowing when you use the bottom option then it is eather not working or a missing option in your European spec car. Try to use the featuer when sitting at idle withthe radio off. you should be able to hear the fan in the seat back if it is working.

Z

Last edited by Zaddick; 12-07-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:31 PM

SL 55 AMG 2003
Originally Posted by Zaddick
In the US spec cars, the cooling is indicated by blue lights and the heating by red. It looks like your car is equipped with the option for both, but I am not 100% sure as I think the cooling in mine had a fan icon like the BlueSL post picture above. You know whay I am not sure? because to me the option is useless. It is not an AC seat. It merely blows some air out the holes to provide comfort. It can help cool a hot leather seat in the summer (sort of) but it's not going to cool you after a work out. If you cannot hear a fan blowing when you use the bottom option then it is eather not working or a missing option in your European spec car. Try to use the featuer when sitting at idle withthe radio off. you should be able to hear the fan in the seat back if it is working.

Z
Hi Zadick , my 55 is USA made , im from LA ive been living in Europe for years. I own a company here in Holland. I bought the 55 à few months ago in LA. I shiped the car
Ill post more pics of my car soon
Im not sure but i think carfax would show all the original options sold on my car when it was bought by the first owner ? That way i can find out if some options are malfunctioning or just not there
Old 12-18-2011, 11:18 AM

2004 SL600, 2006 Range Rover SC
Looking at your buttons, I'd say you do not have the ventilated seat option since you do not have the correct graphics on the controls.

As for why you have perforated leather, it was probably more cost-efficient to equip vehicles with certain options with less types of leather and just not build the seat with ventilation fans. If you have seen other SL55s with non-perforated seats, they probably had other interior trim features which led to it.