SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Throttle response.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 535d Touring
Throttle response.

While driving off, I've become very wary about the way the pedal responds to imput - its not exactly linear and I often set off more abruptly than intended. Is that how it is?

Also note a real delay in the response when it is pressed, compared to my other automatics, as if the gearbox is taking time to respond to the imput. Is this adjustable?
Old 06-26-2003, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
your foot pedal is connected to a electric wire, not direct to throttle.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:23 AM
Bilal

Electric throttle adjustment?

It happens sometimes, as with manual cars, when you go round a corner, and sometimes your speed is slow so you need to shift into first, same goes for Merc autos. i have notced this in my mum's A-class auto as well. Its like your at a roundabout waiting to move off after just lingering in, and then, you hit the pedal, nothing happens for half a second, and before you know it, you press a bit more and you are doing 5000rpm in 1st gear. can be very annoying. Although it doesn't happen in my dad's E-class. having driven both, i prefer the normal throttle response, much more predictable, but I doubt this is a glitch, you just have to get used to it. It can be annoying sometimes, but not everything's perfect? eh?
Old 06-26-2003, 02:53 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Thats exactly how it is, Bilal. I kinda hoped an electronic throttle might be electronically adjustable.

I guess I'll get used to it. Doesn't happen in BMW's tho.
Old 06-26-2003, 03:57 PM

BMW 535d Touring
Originally posted by theboogers
your foot pedal is connected to a electric wire, not direct to throttle.
So I believe- but I thought the reason for that was better throttle response, not a slower one...
Old 06-26-2003, 04:43 PM

Yup thats normal. I suppose all part of this new brake by wire and accelerate by wire technology - and I find its at its worst when the engine is cold. One of these days I'll end up stuffing the SL55 into the back of someone.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Bilal

Exactly right guys. Mercedes is the only company in the world that makes its own automatics in house, and they do a damn fine job. BMW use a ZF 6 speed auto, and even a GM box!

And BMW's, famed for their gearboxes, they don't make them, a company called Getrag manufactures them. But I',m sure you guys already knew that.:p

Mercedes automatics, are by far the best autos, even though they may have Windows 95 running in them.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:55 AM

BMW 535d Touring
Ah, now there Bilal I might disagree a little....

Having had both I'm still slightly in favour of the BMW box - it is very liquid in both response and gear change.

Anyway, its not a biggie, I just don't like the throttle reponse especially starting (as I have to) on a hill when the car is cold.

Like Paul I feel you could easily push it into the car in front - but its ones coming from behind that worry me!!
Old 06-27-2003, 04:00 AM
Bilal

heheeheh, LOL.