SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: LED Interior, Trunk, License Plate Lights...HELP!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl55
LED Interior, Trunk, License Plate Lights...HELP!!

Hey guys, i'm trying to change all my interior, trunk, and license plate lights to the white LED lights. i've read many posts on the forums and nobody seems to have an answer.

Please direct me to the place to purchase the led lights that will not flicker, cause error codes, etc. What is my best option? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:04 PM

SL500
I dont understand how you get 100+ views and no one can give you their 2 cents.
I'm not sure where you can go but i would suggest checking ebay, thats where i've been looking for my clear corners.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:14 PM

sl55
I'm sure many members have done the LED conversion, but from all the threads i've read there are problems. I think the license plate error code has been resolved, but the interior lights flicker and burn out quickly. I heard the ijdmtoys.com bulbs are not very good.

Insight will be appreciated.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:16 PM

clk63 black series
Like he said man check ebay and ask the sellers on there. It's quite unfortunate this forum can be very quiet sometimes. I just came from bmw forums and anytime I had a question I would get a wealth of information. I had a simple question about a specific set of springs when I joined. After about 200 views, someone replied in a less than enthusiastic attitude telling me to use the search button and acting like I insulted everyone.....I'm gonna get flamed now lol....but oh well.....hope it works out for you man....honestly ebay it...good luck

BTW post what year your car is and model.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:10 PM

SL500
Originally Posted by bmstyle
Like he said man check ebay and ask the sellers on there. It's quite unfortunate this forum can be very quiet sometimes. I just came from bmw forums and anytime I had a question I would get a wealth of information. I had a simple question about a specific set of springs when I joined. After about 200 views, someone replied in a less than enthusiastic attitude telling me to use the search button and acting like I insulted everyone.....I'm gonna get flamed now lol....but oh well.....hope it works out for you man....honestly ebay it...good luck

BTW post what year your car is and model.
This forum seems to be very dead compared to others. My brother is also on the BMW forum always finding new things to do and finding answers to any solutions just wish it was similar over here
Old 03-30-2012, 01:02 AM

W221 S600 // R230 SL500 // B8 A4 // JZZ30 SC300
My SL has a very bad experience with LEDs. I keep getting errors even with the canbus bulbs. Anyone successful on avoiding those errors?
Old 03-30-2012, 02:16 AM

a few cars, few bikes,04 SL55
I haven't done the license plate yet, but I did my whole interior and my front bumper without any error so far. I didn't buy on online though, it was from a guy in the bayarea
Old 03-30-2012, 02:22 AM

W221 S600 // R230 SL500 // B8 A4 // JZZ30 SC300
Thanks for the input. So far I did the front indicators, license plate, and DRLs. Front indicators blink normal on the exterior but I get an error and hyper blinking on the passenger side only. License plate LEDs were ok for a while until one side keeps going out and then the other side. The DRLs blink randomly when unlock the door and work fine after the car is warmed up.

That's my observations for now I'll try to keep this updated as soon as I find a solution.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:28 PM

Sl55 AMG
better late then never

Since the original post more options have become available. If anyone happens upon this subject looking for answers this company has some nice replacements.

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Mercedes-Be...uro_smd_34.htm

I picked up some license plate lights for my SL55.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 SL600, 2016 ES300h, 2012 Hayabusa
I had a bad experience with jdmtoy, I heard aznoptics hold up better. I had jdmtoy and they didn't flicker and give errors for about a week, then nothing but problems all the time, then I tried to replace them, finally got a set back, they burned out and I put the car in storage, when I got it out they said they wouldn't warranty anything
Old 05-11-2012, 02:33 PM

2005 SL500
I tried LED's for the parking lights and after several different bulbs and research I said screw it and went with tinted halogens. They're much cheaper and produce a similar effect and the best part of all is no weird errors or problems. The SL does not seem to like LED's much so I'm just giving her what she's used to, I didn't want to spend too much energy on bulbs.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:48 PM

12 GL350, '12 BMW 650i Convertible
Hey guys - I just wanna do my license plate lights for now and have a very bad experience. Looks like I've tried all of them already and none lasts more then couple of month. Can somebody direct me to the lights that would last a little longer than that?
Old 01-15-2014, 08:26 PM

2009 SL 550 Silver Arrow Launch Edition
Originally Posted by miggs
This forum seems to be very dead compared to others. My brother is also on the BMW forum always finding new things to do and finding answers to any solutions just wish it was similar over here
I am new to this forum as well, coming from the R129 Forum here and at Benzworld.org. I agree it is very quiet sometimes as compared to the others, but don't be afraid to push people for answers. I don't always get answers, and advised to Google or just pay the dealer. Can be frustrating but what can we do.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:17 AM

2002 SL 500
Fuse nightmare

Hi guys
I went to change my licence plate bulbs to LED and they did not work, then when I put the original bulbs back in they also didn't work, hinted at a fuse.
I don't have the fuse diagram and have found that its fuse 41 and 42.
It also tells me that they are Electronic.

Can someone explain what electronic means and also which fuse box!

Many Thanks

Cats

Last edited by catsbum; 01-19-2014 at 05:18 AM. Reason: auto response
Old 01-19-2014, 09:04 AM

2009 SL 550 Silver Arrow Launch Edition
Originally Posted by catsbum
Hi guys
I went to change my licence plate bulbs to LED and they did not work, then when I put the original bulbs back in they also didn't work, hinted at a fuse.
I don't have the fuse diagram and have found that its fuse 41 and 42.
It also tells me that they are Electronic.

Can someone explain what electronic means and also which fuse box!

Many Thanks

Cats
If it says electronic is is probably a breaker that will reset itself.