Notices
SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

Common ABC Problems

Old 02-27-2012, 08:01 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, W163 M112 E32
Common ABC Problems

Can anyone give me a rundown of the common ABC problems and potential fixes? Is it just the Pump you have to worry about, or do you need to worry about the other components as well? How about the model years, does it matter, are some better than others?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 991.2 Turbo PDK 2017 C63S Coupe Ceramic Brakes 2015 CLS63S AMG Full House
Originally Posted by DubVBenz View Post
Can anyone give me a rundown of the common ABC problems and potential fixes? Is it just the Pump you have to worry about, or do you need to worry about the other components as well? How about the model years, does it matter, are some better than others?

The easiest and cheapest fix, is the expansion hose, yes they do leak at any time, should be checked 1st, before you get a fancy bill from a dealer.

I believe the ABC pump and block valves were changed by 2004.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL500
Originally Posted by Sher Judge View Post
The easiest and cheapest fix, is the expansion hose, yes they do leak at any time, should be checked 1st, before you get a fancy bill from a dealer.

I believe the ABC pump and block valves were changed by 2004.
Where is the expansion hose located? I thought I had a leak in my valve pressure assembly behind my front left tire. I peeled the wheel well liner back and the assembly was bone dry, and one of the hoses has some oil residue coming down to the bottom of it. It's the hose that goes from the pressure assembly to a fitting just next to the strut. Look fairly straight forward. Did I just get lucky?!
Old 09-16-2012, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Jay04SL View Post
Where is the expansion hose located? I thought I had a leak in my valve pressure assembly behind my front left tire. I peeled the wheel well liner back and the assembly was bone dry, and one of the hoses has some oil residue coming down to the bottom of it. It's the hose that goes from the pressure assembly to a fitting just next to the strut. Look fairly straight forward. Did I just get lucky?!
This is EXACTLY where my 2003 SL 500 ABC suspension is leaking from. I have determined that it is the B4/5 pressure sensor for the ABC system. Have you had any luck finding a part number or a cheap fix?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL500
Originally Posted by jctevere View Post
This is EXACTLY where my 2003 SL 500 ABC suspension is leaking from. I have determined that it is the B4/5 pressure sensor for the ABC system. Have you had any luck finding a part number or a cheap fix?
Yes. Had the hose replaced, system flushed and Rodeo test. Local MB parts counter had an exploded view of the system and identified the hose.