SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Scuff Plate Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL500 Sport
Scuff Plate Replacement Question

Hi there everybody...longtime lurker...never posted but had a question for all you experts. I own a 2005 Sl500 with the AMG/Sport package and hate the plastic door sill/scuff plates we have. I noticed that in the 2007 editions both the inner and outer scuff plates are stainless steel/chrome?...would I be able to put those parts on my 05? I have attached pics to illustrate the differences.
Attached Thumbnails Scuff Plate Replacement Question-2005-door.jpg   Scuff Plate Replacement Question-2007-door.jpg   Scuff Plate Replacement Question-2007-scuff-plates.jpg  
Old 03-31-2012, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by mbzmd
Hi there everybody...longtime lurker...never posted but had a question for all you experts. I own a 2005 Sl500 with the AMG/Sport package and hate the plastic door sill/scuff plates we have. I noticed that in the 2007 editions both the inner and outer scuff plates are stainless steel/chrome?...would I be able to put those parts on my 05? I have attached pics to illustrate the differences.
The parts will fit your car and then you can join the scuffed scuff plate club. As nice looking as the new plates are they are scratch magnets. I have them on my wife's S Class and applied a clear vinyl to protect them from scratches. It is amazing how scratched the vinyl gets in a very short period of time.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:33 PM

2005 SL500 Sport
Thanks for the reply...that stinks that they are scuff magnets but they look so darn better! Where did you get the vinyl protection?...I will definitely be applying some type of protection to them!
Old 04-01-2012, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the reply...that stinks that they are scuff magnets but they look so darn better! Where did you get the vinyl protection?...I will definitely be applying some type of protection to them!
Do a search for Trimbrite bodyguard paint protection film. It is approx. 6" wide and you cut it to fit the plate. When applying wet the plate and then squeegy the excess water out. This will protect it from future scratching and can be replaced when it starts to look bad.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you look closely at the pictures that you sent you can see the scratches on the chrome/stainless scuff plate.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:30 PM

2005 SL500 Sport
Thanks for all the help...I just bought a roll of trimguard online...I see what you are talking about but I still think the stainless steel panels look nicer than the mainly plastic with a dinky sill that I have now...I just have to be cautious and put on the protection from the minute I get these bad boys installed...