Notices
SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

Crankshaft position sensor

 
Old 04-07-2012, 08:22 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 238
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
03 SL500(Sold), 09 C300, 11 E550
Crankshaft position sensor

Does anyone know where this thing is located? I just got my car back from the dealer and they didn't change it because it wasn't throwing a code... I've read some posts saying to look between the firewall and drivers side valve covers but i cant find it.

any help would be appreciated... i hate having to disconnect the battery every time this happens...
Late is offline  
Old 04-08-2012, 09:23 AM
  #2  
Member
 
HemiTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Springboro, Ohio
Posts: 110
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL600 Renntech
It is behind the driver's side cylinder bank near the bellhousing.
HemiTom is offline  
Old 04-09-2012, 06:08 PM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 238
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
03 SL500(Sold), 09 C300, 11 E550
Any tips on how to get at it? Should I be trying to change it from under the hood or should i get under the car?
Late is offline  
Old 04-09-2012, 06:17 PM
  #4  
Member
 
HemiTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Springboro, Ohio
Posts: 110
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL600 Renntech
Work Instructions

NOTE: Remove Air cleaner (engine side).

Crankshaft position sensor to engine block - 8 N.m

NOTE: If the crankshaft position sensor (L5) was replaced, a re-initialization must be carried out with STAR DIAGNOSIS in the menu item control module adaptations.
HemiTom is offline  
Old 04-09-2012, 06:50 PM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Carrollton, Tx.
Posts: 188
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG
I changed mine from underneith, it was a b#@$h though, it is located at the top drivers hand side of the bell housing, on the motor..
JamesC32 is offline  
Old 04-14-2012, 07:30 AM
  #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 238
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
03 SL500(Sold), 09 C300, 11 E550
Originally Posted by HemiTom View Post
Work Instructions

NOTE: Remove Air cleaner (engine side).

Crankshaft position sensor to engine block - 8 N.m

NOTE: If the crankshaft position sensor (L5) was replaced, a re-initialization must be carried out with STAR DIAGNOSIS in the menu item control module adaptations.
so you need the star programmer if you are replacing it yourself?
Late is offline  
Old 04-14-2012, 08:56 AM
  #7  
Member
 
HemiTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Springboro, Ohio
Posts: 110
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL600 Renntech
You are supposed to do a relearn with a compatible scanner. My Snap On scanner has this function. I have never tried to replace one without doing a relearn.
HemiTom is offline  
Old 04-21-2012, 01:29 PM
  #8  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 238
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
03 SL500(Sold), 09 C300, 11 E550
Originally Posted by HemiTom View Post
You are supposed to do a relearn with a compatible scanner. My Snap On scanner has this function. I have never tried to replace one without doing a relearn.
Thanks for the info. I didn't have access to a scanner so i brought it to a local mechanic. changed 100 bucks. i actually noticed that changing the CPS cured my rough idle which is an added bonus!!
Late is offline  
Old 04-21-2012, 01:40 PM
  #9  
Member
 
HemiTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Springboro, Ohio
Posts: 110
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL600 Renntech
Good to hear! You got a twofer!
HemiTom is offline  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:05 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
BSR Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 E 320 S4
Exclamation CPS 99 e320

is it mandatory that a star system code this after i replace? Not interested in paying a mechanic for something I can do because I am also having that issue.

Car died this morning after only operating for about 20 minutes. 20 minutes later it cranked up... got me home. Turned ignition off... tried to start back up. no luck. 20 min or so... started back up..
After reading all these post, I found the sensor, removed looked at. blew out little bit, then plugged back up. Cranked up..after another regular temp is reached.. I turn off then try start again. Not firing up.

I am assuming it is indeed the CPS so will replace and buy an spare. Only had this e320 for 5 days and already this. You would think with a 59k new price tag, the company could do better than this. I bet the heat from the engine encourages this to happen somehow in the sensor. Overall pleased with the car. After all , it's my 1st "used" Benz


"Par for the course"

Last edited by BSR Music; 04-30-2012 at 12:57 AM. Reason: update
BSR Music is offline  
Old 05-02-2012, 11:48 PM
  #11  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 sl500
I have a 2004 SL500 and I have the same problem about stalling when the engine is hot. But, I can't locate the sensor in the back of the engine on the driver side. Would it be easier to look under the car as suggested by JamesC32.
tkkben is offline  
Old 05-03-2012, 06:51 AM
  #12  
Member
 
HemiTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Springboro, Ohio
Posts: 110
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL600 Renntech
It's WAY in the back of the engine just below the left cylinder head and near the bellhousing.

Originally Posted by tkkben View Post
I have a 2004 SL500 and I have the same problem about stalling when the engine is hot. But, I can't locate the sensor in the back of the engine on the driver side. Would it be easier to look under the car as suggested by JamesC32.
HemiTom is offline  
Old 05-03-2012, 12:16 PM
  #13  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 sl500
Originally Posted by HemiTom View Post
It's WAY in the back of the engine just below the left cylinder head and near the bellhousing.
Thank you. Finally got it. 'Just below' the cyulinder head (I was looking further down before). I can only feel it with my finger. It took me about 20 minutes to change from above, no need to go under the car. Just be careful not dropping the mounting screw.
tkkben is offline  
Old 05-03-2012, 01:30 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
 
BSR Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 E 320 S4
CPS

I must have gotten a bad "new CPS because mine wont crank with the new one in. Gee the trouble the Benz have inst worth owning in my opinion. You would think for a 59k car, MB could do better than this.
BSR Music is offline  
Old 05-03-2012, 06:08 PM
  #15  
Member
 
HemiTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Springboro, Ohio
Posts: 110
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL600 Renntech
If it truly won't "crank", it has nothing to do with the crank sensor.

Originally Posted by BSR Music View Post
I must have gotten a bad "new CPS because mine wont crank with the new one in. Gee the trouble the Benz have inst worth owning in my opinion. You would think for a 59k car, MB could do better than this.
HemiTom is offline  
Old 05-04-2012, 05:55 AM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
BSR Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 E 320 S4
@HemiTom it wil crank (turn over & fire up) with the old one in.. but the new one ( a Duralast ) from Autozone wont work for some reason. replacing today with a different brand.
BSR Music is offline  
Old 05-04-2012, 06:44 AM
  #17  
Member
 
HemiTom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Springboro, Ohio
Posts: 110
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL600 Renntech
Try a Standard brand or Borg Warner brand.


Originally Posted by BSR Music View Post
@HemiTom it wil crank (turn over & fire up) with the old one in.. but the new one ( a Duralast ) from Autozone wont work for some reason. replacing today with a different brand.
HemiTom is offline  
Old 05-04-2012, 02:14 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
BSR Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 E 320 S4
Originally Posted by HemiTom View Post
Try a Standard brand or Borg Warner brand.
Thanks HemiTom... Will do.
BSR Music is offline  
Old 05-04-2012, 06:18 PM
  #19  
Junior Member
 
BSR Music's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 E 320 S4
GOOD NEWS on 99 E320 CPS !!!!

Replace with yet another brand sensor (Import Direct) and it fired right up.
No need for a Star coder and saved myself a buttload of cash. Amazing what you can learn from others who had the same issues. Although I did rev up for 20 sec at 3ooo rpm as someone suggested, it seem to work just fine. Interstate @ 70 mph..after a few miles all is smooth. -

MORAL of the Story - If you are calm enough, you can save money. Although I do recommend original parts, I will definitely buy a spare and keep the old.

TIPS - To keep from losing the star bolt, attach a thread to it for saftey in case it is dropped.
TOOLS NEEDED - E8 socket - 2 extentions and ratchet. Viola! Success!


Thanks to OhLord - Hemi Tom & Musikman for the guidance

Replacement part - http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...eyword=19-0462

Last edited by BSR Music; 05-04-2012 at 06:21 PM.
BSR Music is offline  
Old 08-02-2013, 09:11 PM
  #20  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 sl500
Originally Posted by tkkben View Post
Thank you. Finally got it. 'Just below' the cyulinder head (I was looking further down before). I can only feel it with my finger. It took me about 20 minutes to change from above, no need to go under the car. Just be careful not dropping the mounting screw.
What tools did you use to remove it? I have the e8 torx socket and an 8" extension and can't seem to get at it good enough to loosen it
SteveHolt is offline  
Old 08-09-2014, 12:38 PM
  #21  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern Tennessee
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Originally Posted by tkkben View Post
I have a 2004 SL500 and I have the same problem about stalling when the engine is hot. But, I can't locate the sensor in the back of the engine on the driver side. .
For the benefit of future readers, I just replaced the CPS on my 2003 SL500 and the first step after you remove the air cleaner assembly is to remove one of the zip ties. (Picture below) Doing so will allow you to move the bundled wires to one side and expose the sensor. Also the E8 torx head bolt that mounts the sensor to the engine points up at a 45 degree angle so you need to be mindful of that when you are trying to get the E8 torx socket to engage that bolt head. Before you remove the bolt tuck some shop towels down in those places that it would likely land if you drop it.https://mbworld.org/forums/images/attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails Crankshaft position sensor-page_1.jpg  
Disney86 is offline  
Old 08-15-2014, 10:48 PM
  #22  
Newbie
 
benzgirlva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Originally Posted by Disney86 View Post
For the benefit of future readers, I just replaced the CPS on my 2003 SL500 and the first step after you remove the air cleaner assembly is to remove one of the zip ties. (Picture below) Doing so will allow you to move the bundled wires to one side and expose the sensor. Also the E8 torx head bolt that mounts the sensor to the engine points up at a 45 degree angle so you need to be mindful of that when you are trying to get the E8 torx socket to engage that bolt head. Before you remove the bolt tuck some shop towels down in those places that it would likely land if you drop it.https://mbworld.org/forums/images/attach/jpg.gif


Is there any video online or good pictures to show how to change this? The dealer said 250 and I would really like to at least attempt to change it myself before I give in to the dealer. I have no clue of what I'm doing but need to save the money..any help is greatly appreciated. I have a 2003 SL500..thanks
benzgirlva is offline  
Old 08-18-2014, 05:51 PM
  #23  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Eastern Tennessee
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Originally Posted by benzgirlva View Post
Is there any video online or good pictures to show how to change this?

On your car to get the hood to stand vertically you need to release one latch on the driver's side as opposed to two latches as shown in this video. Very simple procedure to perform. Be sure to remove the zip tie as mentioned in my previous post or otherwise you will not see the sensor at all.
Disney86 is offline  
Old 12-10-2014, 11:10 PM
  #24  
Newbie
 
fixitguy63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: oklahoma
Posts: 13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E350
no relearn

I have replaces the cps on a 04 e320 and it cuts out twice then dies. Ive tried to use my Autell and my Snap On modis ultra to reset and relearn but ive tried several ways but no luck . Im doing something wrong but cat figure it out.
fixitguy63 is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Crankshaft position sensor


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: