SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Quad pipes installed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL500
Quad pipes installed!

Moved this to a thread so that I don't spam the picture thread. Quad pipes are on and look amazing, this was probably the best shop experience I've ever had, the guy is super cool and has been in the business forever (fathers business handed down), it's like an art to him, if you're within driving distance of Belmont California, I highly recommend him.. The tips fit perfectly in the stock bumper setup, it almost looks stock.

I had magnaflows put in because I'm not going to pay $3K for some "made in Germany" system. It only cost me $400 out the door. At idle I can't even hear it but if you goose it it makes a really great v8 noise. The shop owner was pulling it around and the other guys on the block were surprised at how deep it was. My favorite mod so far. Here's a quick pic, I'll try to get more with a sound clip as well. On my E55 I just did a reso/2nd cat delete and it was ok, I think I'm more willing to put magnaflows on an SL500 since it's not an AMG. These sound great because they aren't obnoxiously loud and you can barely hear them at idle, but when you want to hear the v8 you just step on the gas

Before...

After...
Old 05-14-2012, 01:48 PM

2007 SL550
I'm in the Bay Area and pass by Belmont every day....are you supposed to get any HP and/or MPG increase?
I like the look.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:16 AM

2005 SL500
It might tidy up the airflow a little bit but let's not dance around it... It sounds so awesome it's sickening. I think it's making my wife jealous. Look up Exhaust Works on Old Country road. Once you talk to the guy you'll probably be sold, he's an exhaust connoisseur. I bet a 550 would sound even better. Ask about the white SL he just did.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:18 AM

04 Cadillac CTS-V, 04 MB SL600, 99 Mustang GT Anniversary Edition
I did the muffler delete this past Saturday. I have been looking for the right set of dual tips. Please let me know a couple things...

1. Are the tips flush with each other at the very tip. Or are the outer tips shorter than the inner tips?

2. The set looks like they are double wall? Do they have an inside bevel - love that look.

3. Are you straight pipe, muffler deleted?

4. What brand/model # are your pipes?

5. What size are the exits? 2.5"? Total width about 6"?

Looks exactly what I want for my SL600!

Thx!

Mojo
Old 05-15-2012, 12:37 AM

2005 SL500
Originally Posted by SL600Mojo
I did the muffler delete this past Saturday. I have been looking for the right set of dual tips. Please let me know a couple things...

1. Are the tips flush with each other at the very tip. Or are the outer tips shorter than the inner tips?

2. The set looks like they are double wall? Do they have an inside bevel - love that look.

3. Are you straight pipe, muffler deleted?

4. What brand/model # are your pipes?

5. What size are the exits? 2.5"? Total width about 6"?

Looks exactly what I want for my SL600!

Thx!

Mojo
1. Staggered, outside is shorter then inside.

2. Yes inside bevel. Agreed.

3. No, replaced the stock silencer with a Magnaflows. Didn't want it crazy loud. These things are super quiet at idle and no freeway drone, perfect for me.

4. No idea, I gave my exhaust guy free creative license.

5. Same as 4, I'm not sure. But it does fit in the stock bumper perfectly.

Wish I could hear an SL600 with no silencers in person!

Last edited by Triple.Sevens; 05-15-2012 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:10 AM

04 Cadillac CTS-V, 04 MB SL600, 99 Mustang GT Anniversary Edition
I have a 99 Mustang GT with Bassani off road (cat free) x-pipe, and a borla stainless cat back. I was always amazed with the sound of my Mustang. I rarely bother with the radio/stereo because I just love to listen to the engine rumble and roar.

Well, I was so wanting for my new Merc to sound like the bad *** it is. In stock form it is the ultimate sleeper. Seriously quiet. All signs pointed to the muff delete is pretty much a must do. Found a good shop, and got it done, kicked her on for the first time, and I was in AWE. My son was with me and said "Dad, your car sounds like some exotic Lamborghini." The muffler guys were like "SICK!" I am constantly stopped by folks to tell me how much they admire the ride. People rolling down windows to hear the car...pointing at my car to their buddy etc...it's really funny!

Anyway - now I want the tips to look exactly like yours!! Would you mind taking a few pix of the underside of the tips - basically if they are custom done, I'd like to give my muffler shop some "specs" to go by. Your guy did you good! They look amazing, totally custom yet like they totally belong there!

Thanks for your help.

Mojo
Old 05-15-2012, 10:37 AM

2007 SL550
Thanks...I will call them...summer project!
Old 05-15-2012, 04:34 PM

2005 SL500
Here are some quick pics I took. I sprung for the no frills muffler so it's not polished or anything and it looks like he had to get a little creative to fit them. I think if you spent more for a smaller silencer it'd fit where it's supposed to go. But it sounds like you're running straight pipes anyways so it doesn't matter , Cali sucks with all their regulations.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:01 PM

2005 SL500
Here's a quick vid I took of the sound. We didn't rev it too high since we were at a restaurant parking lot.

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...t=IMG_1462.mp4
Old 06-18-2012, 05:16 PM

2005 SL500
Where did you buy the tip from?
Or was the Muffler shop got it for you?
If so, can i have the phone number to the shop?
Thanks..
Old 06-19-2012, 06:42 PM

2005 SL500
Originally Posted by sebi0214
Where did you buy the tip from?
Or was the Muffler shop got it for you?
If so, can i have the phone number to the shop?
Thanks..
Ken did it all for me, I just told him I wanted it louder and to have 4 pipes that fit in the stock wells.

Here are the details.

Exhaust Works
Old 06-20-2012, 09:52 AM

2005 SL500
Originally Posted by Triple.Sevens
Ken did it all for me, I just told him I wanted it louder and to have 4 pipes that fit in the stock wells.

Here are the details.

Exhaust Works
Much appreciated. Love the tip but i am still afraid it might soubd "too" loud for me ..... Arrrrrggghhh cant decide!!!