SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: New girl wants to know what would you do...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
New girl wants to know what would you do...

okay guys, I've been watching this forum off and on for a while and I know you guys are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to the SL. I have a 2003 SL500 with a full Lorinser package. I paid cash for the car 9 years ago. Photos are posted on my page and at photobucket.com/lorinsermercedes

My dilema...you probably know how much it takes to maintain the SL. Most of you guys do a lot of your own work, unfortunately I know very little about mercedes, now a chevy corvette is a different story I recently replaced the crankshaft sensor, injector number 8 and the motor and tranny mounts. Because the mounts were completely collapsed I also need to replace the front flex disc, as well as struts, bushings etc... My mechanic said I'm also going to need to replace the power steering pump, he said that's what is causing the faint vibration in my steering wheel. I'm thinking about selling the car, in fact I have it up for sale now. Pricing was hard since the Lorinser package was so expensive, I know you never get much return on upgrades but the main reason I bought the car was because of the look of the Lorinser package. I'm looking at an SL63 and a ZR1 Corvette with a Hennessy package. I'm worried the SL63 will have the same problems as the SL500 Although I had a Z06 Corvette that ended up being bought back under the California lemon law.

What would you do? Sell the SL500 and buy something else or make the repairs and keep the car? I love my car, it's extremely clean, looks perfect and definitely a head turner, but what else will happen after I fix the flex disc, struts, bushings....I'm torn, sell a gorgeous car that's paid for or spend another 100k+ on a new car. I've always been a one of a kind...kind of girl. Lorinser SL500, the only one around my area, hennessy corvette #8...what to do?

Last edited by ldroadster; 05-29-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:30 PM

2005 SL500
Nice looking car. From what I read it seems this is more of a judgment call and would be up to you since we all have different opinions.

If it were my decision, I'd go for a white 2009 SL550 and get the Lorinser kit for it. Saves you money and is newer. They also have 380hp which is still pretty quick. After owning an AMG I realized I never use it's potential and it just gets me tickets :P.

Lorinser SL550

However, you seem like you have a want for high horsepower. So I would say AMG over Corvette. I imagine an 2003 SL might not age well if it's starting to show problems.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:00 PM

2003 SL500
Your car is beautiful, the white really makes the car. Are those HREs? I'm tempted to do all the suspension work and keep my car, but the SL63 and the Hennessey Corvette are much faster. The Hennessey vette has 760 bhp! If it doesn't kill me I'm sure the tickets will really start to add up. The vette is 2k more a year to insure than the SL500 and the SL63. That will change once my driving record improves

I think I'll take your advice, it's definitely worth the time to look around for a newer SL550 and/or SL63.

Thank you!
Old 06-01-2012, 01:15 PM

2005 SL500
Thanks! I've owned 2 black Mercs and final got sick of keeping it clean, no matter what you do you'll see swirl marks, I told myself no more black cars :P. They're Brabus Monoblock VI replicas. Be sure to post pics when you get a new ride!
Old 06-01-2012, 01:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
CL600 2003
The vibration in your steering wheel is most likely the pulsation damper, not the pump.