SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL600 won't crank.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
600sl
SL600 won't crank.

I'm located in Dubai and have a 2005 SL600, mine for 3 months now. Today used car this morning with no issues. This afternoon in my garage it won't even crank, dash telling me ESP defective and changes to ABS also, assume that defective also. The engine cooling fan run at full speed. I read here someone had similar problem and was the ECU. Car stuck in PARK and appears no way to get it to dealer. I recharged the rear battery, that made no difference to the ESP ABS message. I also read about the brake pedal switch but would that stop me cranking the motor? Is my best bet the dealer as I don't have a star tool? Appreciate any advice. Regards Greg.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:57 PM

sl600 and clk430, bmw 5, s2k
dealer will be the best bet for you, i have the engine fan running constantly and still cant figure out how to fix it yet, i have bad luck with stealership near my area once and will not bring it back to them, good luck.

side not can you take some pictures of your engine compartment fuse boxes for me?? i need to see if they stealership pull my fuses some how my heater control doesnt work after got it back from them and didnt realized til 4 months later.. thanks in advance
Old 10-31-2012, 03:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
SL600 / SL450 (107) / E350 / BMW M5 E60 / BMW 745i (E23) / BMW X6M / Toyota Hilux 4 WD/ Honda CBX 10
Originally Posted by Slyfox2062
I'm located in Dubai and have a 2005 SL600, mine for 3 months now. Today used car this morning with no issues. This afternoon in my garage it won't even crank, dash telling me ESP defective and changes to ABS also, assume that defective also. The engine cooling fan run at full speed. I read here someone had similar problem and was the ECU. Car stuck in PARK and appears no way to get it to dealer. I recharged the rear battery, that made no difference to the ESP ABS message. I also read about the brake pedal switch but would that stop me cranking the motor? Is my best bet the dealer as I don't have a star tool? Appreciate any advice. Regards Greg.

Hello...
I had an ESP malfunction at my car.
Try to do following.... It's help for me.

"To get rid of esp light you have to start engine and turn steering wheel all the way left and all the way right. Then light should go away. It does that everytime you disconnect battery".

Juha
Old 11-01-2012, 02:16 AM

600sl
Thanks for the info, I also read the same somewhere. Problem is my car wont start, motor does not crank.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:22 AM

600sl
Thanks

Originally Posted by 600RTECH
dealer will be the best bet for you, i have the engine fan running constantly and still cant figure out how to fix it yet, i have bad luck with stealership near my area once and will not bring it back to them, good luck.

side not can you take some pictures of your engine compartment fuse boxes for me?? i need to see if they stealership pull my fuses some how my heater control doesnt work after got it back from them and didnt realized til 4 months later.. thanks in advance
Dealer took my car last night, I will get you some photos when I get it back! In the meantime some fuse info is located here: first entry thread. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230...ory-r230s.html
Old 11-03-2012, 03:31 PM

600sl
Dealership service rep called me today to say it was a ECU and to replace it, cost 15,000 AED (4000 USD) with labour, after discount 2990 USD. He went on to say that they cleane dthe ECU connector and that my car started and no other faults. I'm not ready to condemn my ECU if it is working now. I will collect the car tomorrow. He also said they would upgrade the software, but I will call him first thing and cancel that too, I'm sure that will not be free of charge. Is it normal to upgrade the ECU firmware? I will see how the car runs now that the ECU connector has been cleaned. I can also send my ECU for repair or my new at much better than Dubai prices. I'll let you all know how it goes tomorrow.