SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL500 Dislikes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 03:24 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 Dislikes

Curious to hear what others dislike about the SL500.

My trivial dislikes with the car include the nubby antenna placement, the side mirror lights, the GUI on the COMAND system (so cheap & tacky for a $100,000 car), and the plastic feel of the interior (no sense of craftsmanship anymore).

My opinion and my opinion only, would love to hear other dislikes and opinions.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The COMAND is outdated. What do you expect for a system designed by Germans in 1998? If you seen pictures of the new COMAND found in the new E, it is much better.

If you think the interior has alot of plastic, then i dread the thought you driving other mercedes (non AMG and x600's). They have waaaaay more plastic trim. I actually think the trim on the SL is nice. The only thing I would change would be the headliner. That plastic crap belongs on my Corolla.

My dislikes and problems with SL plague the whole mercedes line. My *******G windows cannot remember one-push up/down. I have to constantly resync it.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:26 AM
Almost a Member!

Buy in a 2003 SL 500

Hello I have been able to my hands on a new SL 500 (the last of 2003) and ordered most of the options... I am a bit concerned reading these postings.. Are there a lot of problems with this car. I am long term Lexus customer... NO PROBLEMS EVER... I am supposed send my earnest money in today to reserve.. any responses woul dbe greatly appreciated.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
1999 SL 500 & 2011 E 550 4Matic
If you get impatient with Command Center operation.

If you ar emarrased by plastic head liners.

If you are frustrated with one touch up windows.

If you don't like plastic interior appointments.

If you are anoyed by being mistaken for a Poniac or Honda from the rear view.

You can always try to buy a R129 off their loyal and content owners.

R129s are easier to come by also. There are 100,000 + of them out in the market place.

Maybe we R129 owners will gain (or re-gain depending on how long they have owned) from a rejuvinated supply & demand appreciation as a result.

We could always work on a trade, if that suits you.

Ha. Ha.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:47 PM
Almost a Member!

That will be a cold day in hell!
Old 08-02-2003, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
In the context of the R230, forget the R129. It's a fine car but completely outclassed by the R230 in terms of performance, design and technology. You could say though that the R230 does not have the same hewn-from-solid feel that the R129 does.

If the R230 does have an achilles heel, it's that it was so long in development, so that some of the decisions made have already been superceded. The E class has second generation SBC and there's no immediate prospect of the R230 getting DVD based sat-nav.

That said, show me a car which combines the attributes of the R230 as well. You may be keen on Lexus' but just look at what they came up with for a convertible - the SC430 is a runt. Aston Martin, Jaguar? Forget it. Ferrari? Put 100000 miles on it and see if you're still smiling. The cost of the engine rebuilds will have bankrupted you.

Right now, buying an SL is one of the most rational car buying decisions you can make.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I completely agree with blueSL. I have had two R129 SL's and driven many more. They are nowhere close to the current SL in capabilities and shall I even say "quality". Looks are as ususal a question of taste.

There is a clear issue with packing a car of ANY make with computer controlled electronics, which are environmentally more prone to failure and sensitive to voltage fluctuations. But get used to it, this is the way cars are going to be build moving forward...

It is however a tiresome argument regarding the plastic feel and quality of Mercedes', mostly from people that didn't have a chance to compare cars through actual ownership.

So here is my take:
The old SL's had significantly more plastic in the interior than the R230, possibly with the exception of a the 95+ SL600 (about the same).
Excuse the harsh words, but the old SL also has an inferior convertible top, steering, suspension, brakes and even the seats and the stereo.

In fact I would even rate the open air feeling as improved. Those small rear windows make a huge difference at high speeds

Now some of the electronic gizmos do add an artificial feel compared to the old one; most notably the brake pedal and the braking and even the gear shifter (which once again is just an electronic switch)

Don't get me wrong with my assessment, either car easily outclasses any Lexus anyday from the timeless design to the driving experience

Wolfman