SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: ABC Problems 2008 SL 550 Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 550
ABC Problems 2008 SL 550 Please Help!!!

Hello, I sure could use some help. I have a 2008 SL 550 with a little over 30,000 miles. A few months ago I had to have the pulsation dampner? replaced.
Yesterday I just left the house and all of a sudden it was hard to steer, I immediately headed for the house. The car was smoking, and oily liquid coming out from the front. I had the car towed to the Mercedes dealer this morning and now they say it's the high pressure active body control hose that needs replacing.
I just feel this is alot of work, not to mention the money for such a low mileage car. All maintence has always been preformed, maintence "B" just last month and so on. Now I'm wondering what's next?? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Cathy
Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 AM

SL550
I own 2007 SL550 with 50K miles. About a month ago, I started car in the morning and park the car in driveway and idling. when I stepped out, I saw stream of ABC oil dripping in the front left. I did not have any problem with steering. I drove car back to garage and turn off engine. There was leak in High Pressure line of ABC. It was pinhole size leak that spray the oil all over the front of engine and gather at the bottom plastic tray and dripping from there. Since you had hard time steering, it might be High pressure line of Power steering pump side of the tandem pump. I replace the line myself and it was very hard to replace it. I also found out that the oil sprayed to the engine belt and belt was swollen in places where it meets pulley (trapping oil). I had to replace the engine belt, too. If it was high pressure line of Power steering, it is little easier to replace than High Pressure line of ABC. I also replace the ABC Oil filter and replace ABC Oil (Pentosin 11S).
Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 GLC 300
At ~3000 PSI, a pinhole leak in that system can spray a lot of fluid in a little time.
I don't think means your car is nearly dead -- just one of those things that happens in a complicated hydraulic system
Old 01-05-2013, 09:25 PM

SL550
Agree, I was lucky to see the ABC oil draining like a water faucet within a minute. Front of the engine was covered with the oil. That evening, I wiped the oil as much as I could. Then, I sprayed Brake Cleaner on ABC line to remove oil. When I restart the engine, I saw a wet section and pinhole size oil leak with 3000 PSI as you mentioned. I wore my goggle and long sleeve shirt with a worn jacket to protect myself. Thankfully, the leak was pointing to a pulley. ABC oil made the engine belt sticky and swollen the grooves of the belt.