SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Replacing Valve Cover Gaskets on an 06 SL500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500
Replacing Valve Cover Gaskets on an 06 SL500

My dealer has told me a couple of times that my 06 SL500's valve covers are leaking. He said it would cost $600 and something to replace them.

I've been a gearhead for over 55 years and have rebuilt anything you can think of and I know what tools I need to replace to replace the gaskets with the exception of the special tool that is supposedly needed that a lot of people have said is not necessary if you improvise.

Before I do it I thought I should check here to see if there's anything special I need to be aware of.

The other thing I thought about was that the gaskets are probably some kind of special synthetic material like neoprene. I know that with small block chevys the valve covers used to leak on every car at some point and that a retightening of the valve covers bolts would let you go another 10,000 miles without replacing them. Is there any chance retightening my valve covers will cure the leak for awhile.

To recap:

1) Is there anything special I should be aware of before I start the job?
2) Any chance a retightening will be a temporary fix?

Thanks.

Last edited by hooperdoski; 02-06-2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Forgot one thing
Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Breather cover gaskets too.

On my N/A M113 engine my tech replaced both the valve cover gaskets and the breather cover gaskets, as well as some inexpensive breather hoses that were becoming clogged or hard (the dealer won't tell you about those) after cleaning the covers to be sqeaky clean. I would loathe tightening any of them up beyond the torque point. I assume your engine has all of the above. If they really are leaking you want to get on this because it can mess up your spark packs and so on. If I can find thereplacement BOM I''ll send it to you.

Perhaps others can give you the WIS procedure so you can DIY.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by hooperdoski
My dealer has told me a couple of times that my 06 SL500's valve covers are leaking. He said it would cost $600 and something to replace them.

I've been a gearhead for over 55 years and have rebuilt anything you can think of and I know what tools I need to replace to replace the gaskets with the exception of the special tool that is supposedly needed that a lot of people have said is not necessary if you improvise.

Before I do it I thought I should check here to see if there's anything special I need to be aware of.

The other thing I thought about was that the gaskets are probably some kind of special synthetic material like neoprene. I know that with small block chevys the valve covers used to leak on every car at some point and that a retightening of the valve covers bolts would let you go another 10,000 miles without replacing them. Is there any chance retightening my valve covers will cure the leak for awhile.

To recap:

1) Is there anything special I should be aware of before I start the job?
2) Any chance a retightening will be a temporary fix?

Thanks.

Last edited by grane; 02-06-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
Hooper I am about to do the same thing. My gaskets will be here tomorrow, but I will be out of town until Tuesday so no progress this weekend. I didn't even know there was a special tool so I think you are a step ahead of me. I can't imagine this being too difficult as I have done it on dozens of cars as well. I guess we shall see.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 PM

SL500
Grane, actuallyI do have the WIS program, but the thing about it is; it doesn't give the little details people learn when they do the job like watch out for this and don't do that (the idiosyncrasies). That's why I'm asking the question about surprises. I mean, I know if I replace the valve cover gaskets using the WIS print out as a guide it will probably take me a lot longer to do if I don't know idiosyncrasies people learn after it's done.

Also, as for leaking on the coil packs, my leak is on the exhaust manifold and I can't smell it so it isn't that bad because my nose is sensative to skunks and burning oil. Those smells drive me nuts

Fergsonfire, If your car is a R230 I do know one thing you'll need that's uncommon. You'll need a torx female socket. Unfortunately I can't remember the size because I bought a set of them.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:29 PM

2004 SL500
I replaced the valve cover gaskets on a 04’ SL500. I’m not sure how much difference there is between the 04’ and the 06’. Trying to tighten the bolts on the old gasket will not work the gasket has develop hard spots. The valve cover gasket are easy enough to replace but there is a upper cover on both of the valve covers. The upper covers do not have a gasket, MB has a sealant in a tube or go to the local auto supply and buy some sealant. When installing the upper cover set them in place and install the bolts but do not tighten the bolts until the sealant has setup and is firm. The two hose’s that attach to the upper cover on the left side will more than likely split when you remove them. They are easy to find online and I used aftermarket gaskets. I had a mess to clean up I think the oil was only changed once, the oil filter snapped in half like a twig.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 AM

SL500
Lonnie, great reply. That's the kinda stuff I was looking for and your engine should be the same as mine.

Knowing about those two hoses will definitely be a big help because I hate tearing a car apart, thinking I have everything, and then have to stop to go get more parts.

Last edited by hooperdoski; 02-12-2013 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added paragraph
Old 02-12-2013, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by lonnie77
I replaced the valve cover gaskets on a 04’ SL500. I’m not sure how much difference there is between the 04’ and the 06’. Trying to tighten the bolts on the old gasket will not work the gasket has develop hard spots. The valve cover gasket are easy enough to replace but there is a upper cover on both of the valve covers. The upper covers do not have a gasket, MB has a sealant in a tube or go to the local auto supply and buy some sealant. When installing the upper cover set them in place and install the bolts but do not tighten the bolts until the sealant has setup and is firm. The two hose’s that attach to the upper cover on the left side will more than likely split when you remove them. They are easy to find online and I used aftermarket gaskets. I had a mess to clean up I think the oil was only changed once, the oil filter snapped in half like a twig.
Hopperdoski, this is exactly what my tech did but it was a year ago and obviously lonnie77 is more hands on than I am. As Chauncey Gardner says in the film Being There, "I like to watch." I'm not a tech but I document my services religiously.

I agree with you WIS and STAR are not the be all and end all. I would be surprised if a dealer SA would recommend changing the breather cover gaskets and replacing the hoses that flow from them. Mine didn't. That's why I am happy my Tech has so much experience and charges me for elapsed time as he multitasks!

BTW if you have the car on the lift as you know this is a good time to look at all the lines and rubber hoses for age.

Good luck we both want the same successful result!
Old 02-12-2013, 06:55 PM

2003 SL500
Got my gaskets in over the weekend so I will be swapping mine out next week. This should be interesting.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:54 PM

2004 SL500
It would be a good idea to look at the two crankcase breather hose and make sure they have not harden. If you need the hose the part numbers are 112 018 01 82 and 112 018 04 82 I would replace them even if they look okay. When removing the coil packs you will need the torx that has a long tip. When working on the right side it maybe a good idea to disconnect the two small black coolant lines that attach to the reservoir. They break easily with the press of your hand and one of them cost $80.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:46 AM

SL500
Lonnie77, in the post you did on Monday you mention the upper covers on the valve covers as if you had to take those upper covers off of the valve covers. I haven't looked at my valve covers yet, but I'm wondering why you had to remove those upper covers. Can you let me know?

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
Thanks for the p/ns for the breather hoses

It would be a good idea to look at the two crankcase breather hose and make sure they have not harden. If you need the hose the part numbers are 112 018 01 82 and 112 018 04 82 I would replace them even if they look okay. When removing the coil packs you will need the torx that has a long tip. When working on the right side it maybe a good idea to disconnect the two small black coolant lines that attach to the reservoir. They break easily with the press of your hand and one of them cost $80.
I agree you should replace them since one is already in there. Are the P/Ns the same for all 113 and 113K engines?

Thanks for your practical knowledge.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Na version: had psgr leak valve cover just above header. Retorqued valve cover and leak gone. Bought me time until change time.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM

2004 SL500
The reason I removed the upper breather covers is because they were leaking oil also. I don't think you have to remove them, I installed them with the covers off but it's one of the "while I'm there" task. I tried to retighten the covers and it slowed the leak but the leakage became worse after a week or two you never know if that will work.

I’m not sure about the p/n on the engine difference it is for an sl500 and sl55 but it could crossover. Try searching for “ SL-Class_2003-2006 Parts List Mercedes R230 “ it is a pdf file.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
Parts check and source

The reason I removed the upper breather covers is because they were leaking oil also. I don't think you have to remove them, I installed them with the covers off but it's one of the "while I'm there" task. I tried to retighten the covers and it slowed the leak but the leakage became worse after a week or two you never know if that will work.

I’m not sure about the p/n on the engine difference it is for an sl500 and sl55 but it could crossover. Try searching for “ SL-Class_2003-2006 Parts List Mercedes R230 “ it is a pdf file.

I checked on the p/n for the left and right "crankcase breather hose" for the n/a and Kompressor M113 engines the latter for the CL55 and they are indeed the same.

I used the vehicle/part number calculator on this Sponsor site:

www.mymercedesparts.com

You could select your R230 and punch in the same part numbers. If you order and put in your VIN they will double check before shipping. If an updated part is available from MB they will send you that. All OEM parts at great prices in original sealed boxes! Jeff and his crew do great work, great prices too.

Last edited by grane; 02-14-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 PM

2005 SL55 AMG, 1986 Porsche 930S, 1996 Porsche 993tt
just read here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...-replaced.html
Old 03-14-2013, 11:45 AM

2002 E55 AMG, 06 C55 AMG, 72 350SL
Isnt there 3 breather hoses?
Also use OEM valve cover gaskets, they don't cost that much. Most of the cost is in the labor.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:49 PM

sl 500
03 sl 500 with only 44000 mi leaking. Can oil come from valve cover where coil packs attach? Finding oil on spark plug wire guards. Bought gaskets for valve covers but it looks like its coming from higher up, like the breather covers. Any suggestions?
Tim