SL/R230: [FIX] Car losing pressure in one strut with engine off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 12:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Lightbulb [FIX] Car losing pressure in one strut with engine off

Hi all,
I had the infamous symptom of my SL500 losing pressure in one of the shocks when parked. Sometimes it would be fine, sometimes it would sink on the left front after a day, and sometimes it only took a few hours. According to my MB star manual, the updated "fix" from MB is to replace the hydraulic filter as the first step and then move on to a flush if that does not fix the problem etc. I got a quote for a flush from the dealer for $700 and said to hell with that.

So last weekend I decided I was going to do a filter change and pull out the front axle valve unit and clean it. I also ordered 3 L of Pentosin CHF 11S and filled refilled reservoir to correct level when the job was done.

To begin, I opened the ABC reservoir and sucked all of the fluid out. Closed it up and raised the car to bleed the system. The rest is explained in a short video a mechanic from Autobots Automotive Repairs in Vancouver. Very helpful. I also had the procedure in my STAR manual.

Here are some pics:

The valve unit is located in the left front wheel well

The valve unit removed

Valves removed

Block wasnt too dirty on the inside but a nice solvent bath didnt hurt

Block cleaned in solvent tank

Valve unit reassembled

Unit re-installed

If there is any advice I can give its just this:
-Pay very close attention to valve placement while disassembling and take plenty of pics of the color coded hydraulic lines and electrical connectors in case you forget
-be very careful with the plastic retaining clips on the valve unit. They're brittle

Also, in the video it says 1.5 hrs of labor. Maybe if you have a lift and you've done it before. I spent 6-8 hours on everything but I tend to overdue the cleaning and n\get side tracked easily

So far so good. Have not had a problem with it sinking on any strut in the past few days and have driven it several times. Feels much better.

Also added some LED License plate lights from fleabay. No error codes as advertised and theyre super bright and blue!

Cheers!
Old 03-01-2013, 05:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 SL500, 1998 E320 Wagon
Very good write-up. Looks like it was a messy job. What type of solvent did you use to clean the block? Did you soak the block in the solvent? Did you rodeo the car after you reassembled everything?
Old 03-01-2013, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Idk what type of solvent it was off hand. I just went to a friend that had a solvent tank and gave it a good scrub and blew it off with compressed air immediately after. I never did rodeo on the car. I cleared the system using level selection. Didn't take very long either. Before I ever restarted the car I refilled the ABC reservoir. This is very important. Never let the pump run dry! And check it frequently. After bleeding the system the lines can pull quite a bit of fluid.