SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: INPUT NEEDED! PLEASE HELP! FUTURE BUYER!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ml320
INPUT NEEDED! PLEASE HELP! FUTURE BUYER!

I had posted earlier and although my post had 100+ views I did not get ONE response. I think I must've not been coherent enough. I've been on this forum for a while now as I owned an ML320 earlier. Tried to contribute in my own way as well. I've learned a lot and am still learning. So, I hope some of you with ANY insight on this subject could help me with my current problem:

I am looking to buy an R230. 2002/2003. With under 80K miles. I have viewed and driven some of them already. I am located overseas where I've recently moved so have not yet found the BEST indy mechanic. However, I did find a reputable Mercedes tech who do pre-buying inspections.

I've read a lot of stories about ABC issues which are the biggest problems afflicting these cars. What I am trying to ascertain is that is ABC a faulty system OR is it just expensive to fix? Like for example if I buy an R230 and say I have to replace a strut, would the same strut/s breakdown within the next six months or would the expensive repair hold the car up for another year or two? Given that I am a very conservative driver. No abuse whatsoever. No accident ever. So that is my first question! I've read a lot on this topic on the forum but cannot quite understand the gravity of this issue. Personal experience and expertise is welcome.

Secondly, I recently almost bought an R230 and I took it to the Indy for a pre buying inspection. The deal was to buy the car for $13000 (it was a 02, with 80K miles or so). However on inspection the indy said the rear two struts were leaking and a host of other issues were reported which the indy quoted will take another 10-12000$ to fix. My problem is that I am not a car mechanic or to put it mildly: I am car illiterate. Hence, I am here for advice. I was wondering if someone could look over the list below and give me an indication which of these repairs were/are imminent and which were just a non issue AND whether the cost the indy quoted me was too high?

I understand that every one is busy on the forum and I know that many of you may think I should just search around for answers. I can assure you I read through many post and since each post is user specific I end up more confused then enlightened. I would really appreciate if you guys could give your inputs. It will save me a lot of time and money. Thank you in advance.

Here is the list that the indy provided to me regarding the one SL:
1. WIPER BLADES WORN OUT ( I know this is a non issue )
2. TRUNK LID GAS STRUTS WEAK
3. RHS HIGH BEAM NOT WORKING
4. ABC AND SBC SYSTEM FAULTS (WARNING LIGHTS ON) - DIAGNOSIS REQUIRED
5. 3 JACK SUPPORTS MISSING
6. ME-SFI CONTROL MODULE FAULTY – STAR PRINTOUTS IN FILE
7. FRONT LHS BULK HEAD DAMAGED
8. BOTH RADIUS ROD BALL JOINT BOOTS SPLIT AND BUSHES CRACKED
9. BOTH SPRING LINK BUSHES CRACK
10. REAR ENGINE UNDER GUARD DAMAGED
11. ALL ENGINE MOUNTS COLLAPSED/FRONT LEAKING
12. REAR CRANK OIL SEAL LEAKING
13. GEAR SELECTOR LEVER ROD BUSHES MISSING
14. BOTH REAR ABC STRUTS LEAKING
15. PROP SHAFT FRONT FLEXIBLE DISK CRACKED
16. ALL BRAKE DISKS CORRODED
17. LHS HEADLAMP NOZZLE NOT WORKING (PIPE BROKEN)
18. BRAKE OIL AND ABC OIL CONTAMINATED
19. FRONT LHS ABC LINE NOISY (HISSING NOISE – POSSIBLE VALAVE BLOCK FAULT)
20. BODY CORROSION ON REAR RHS QUARTER PANEL
21. GEAR LEVER PARKING LOCK (SOLENOID LOCK) REMOVED
Old 03-09-2013, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sl600/Kleemann-ecu:tcu- 2015 E250CDI -Navion MB Sprinter
Just the ABC system alone could run you thousands to repair. I replaced one shock at 2k and the ABC pump at 4k at my local mb dealer.

Looking at your list the repairs will be more than the cost of the car.

I sure you could find a better quality not abused SL on the market. Unless your into repairing Basket cases.

Have your local MB dealer look at the car and get an estimate to repair it.

Trimix
Old 03-09-2013, 03:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 SL500
My recommendation would be to buy a 04 or newer and an after market extended warranty. My hydraulic pump for the top failed and that was $1,700.00.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:44 PM

2013 SL 550 Diamond white
input

Run as fast as you can from that car!! Way too many issues..
Old 03-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
This sounds like a particularly nasty example. Stay clear.

I know it's tempting to go for cheap, but as mentioned in other posts, you'll burn up you money in repairs instead.

I'd go for an 07 with less than 50k miles. There are great deals to be had.

Good luck
Old 03-10-2013, 04:38 AM

ml320
Originally Posted by Stoofpilot
My recommendation would be to buy a 04 or newer and an after market extended warranty. My hydraulic pump for the top failed and that was $1,700.00.
I did find another SL 2002 with the roof issue. The roof is stuck in the trunk and the dealer is asking around $2K to fix it. I think it could be the hydraulic pump. I'll try to look for later models.

I just keep wondering as I look in the market place (and on ebay as well) the price that is being commanded by even the early models is pretty steep considering all the issues and expenses. Like an 02 still can run you around $16K plus, while there are many people asking $20K+ on ebay for 03's. I think people are willing to buy them at that price and put the extra costs in to maintenance. Given the high costs of fuel and maintenance I would've assumed that it would be cheaper. Even a Boxster from the same year is much cheaper than an SL. However, they arent really comparable in that sense.

Thank you for all your inputs. Please keep writing.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:52 AM

sl600/Kleemann-ecu:tcu- 2015 E250CDI -Navion MB Sprinter
If the roof is stuck it could just be a flap issue which most of us have experienced.

As for the first car you referenced it amazes me how anyone could abuse an SL so bad.

Spend the extra cash and go newer. Just my 2cents.

Trimix
Old 03-10-2013, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by danielali
I did find another SL 2002 with the roof issue. The roof is stuck in the trunk and the dealer is asking around $2K to fix it. I think it could be the hydraulic pump. I'll try to look for later models.

I just keep wondering as I look in the market place (and on ebay as well) the price that is being commanded by even the early models is pretty steep considering all the issues and expenses. Like an 02 still can run you around $16K plus, while there are many people asking $20K+ on ebay for 03's. I think people are willing to buy them at that price and put the extra costs in to maintenance. Given the high costs of fuel and maintenance I would've assumed that it would be cheaper. Even a Boxster from the same year is much cheaper than an SL. However, they arent really comparable in that sense.

Thank you for all your inputs. Please keep writing.
Well, a Boxter was little more than half when new either. Not a real comparison...

I also think that some of the discussions are misleading about the quality of the SL. Any car with high technical complexity and technology "firsts" like ABC, the folding roof (still the most sophisticated to date) electro-mechanical brakes, etc. will have a higher risk of failure.
I consider the rest very solid and highly reliable. Engine, transmission, chassis, body and most importantly, safety.
You'll be better off in an SL than a Boxter in case of accident.

Personally I do not consider an SL for $20k expensive, but that's just me. To date, there is no better designed top down car in existence.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:33 AM

ml320
The SL is definitely not comparable to the Boxster in that sense. Everyone who owns the SL on this forum and else where is almost giddy with excitement. Even the ones who have had issues with their cars are still pretty impressed by it.

I think a person is better off owning an SL either if they do not care to spend as much on the car (in repairs) as the car is worth. OR if they are a DIY person OR if they have an excellent indy.

I am new to this city so I am still in the process of finding a good indy. I feel beyond the ABC issues which are hard diagnose the car is a pretty reliable car for its age.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:39 PM

Porsche 968
I am also new and looking at used SLs. Given the massive wealth of experience on the forum I wonder if anyone has compiled a new buyers guide of things to look out for? Clearly the ABC system would be on that list.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2013, 11:28 PM

Daytime: Slow and easy with 2006 SL500 & 2003 S430 . Night time: Hard and Fast with my wife
Originally Posted by danielali
The SL is definitely not comparable to the Boxster in that sense. Everyone who owns the SL on this forum and else where is almost giddy with excitement. Even the ones who have had issues with their cars are still pretty impressed by it.

I think a person is better off owning an SL either if they do not care to spend as much on the car (in repairs) as the car is worth. OR if they are a DIY person OR if they have an excellent indy.
Trust me, we do care on the repair costs. I understood a lot of issues w/ '03 to '05 have not been repeated w/ '06 or newer models but of course, like a computer, hardware can fail anytime so be prepared for expensive repaired bill. As soon as I bought my '06, I got the extended warranty for additional 6yrs/60K miles and I do believe it was money well spent.

And yes, SL car is a unique design. You get head turns at every corner regardless and you can blow by just about any car on the road if you wish. Not only that, the ride quality for a roadster is surprisingly comfortable. Good luck w/ your search.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:18 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
C63
i've been trying to figure out what car to get as a DD instead of using my c63 all the time. at first i was considering finding a relatively cheap r129, but then thought i'd just be better off buying an early r230. i did some research and have seen a lot of people mention the ABC issues. is this something that is unavoidable in these cars? or is it similar to the c63 headbolt issue where people worry about it and you hear it mentioned often, but it isn't as common as the forums make it seem?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:18 PM

s320cdi /SL350/Slk 230
R230

Hi Daniel

My advice is to stay away altogether from the SL

My expereience at the hands of MB has been a nightmare. I bought a brand new SL350 in 2004 and have only recently completed protracted litigation against them. My problem was with the transmission and the fault nearly cost us our lives. They had the cheek to say that I had touched the automatic transmission and that i had been at fault. Having litigated on the matter I was able to prove;

1 that they sve been aware that their 722.6 transmission has been a well known problem for them since 2996

2. I was able to introduce 3 other SL 350 owners at the hearing to prove that they also had the same kind of problem

They even attempted to interfere with one of my witnesses prior to the hearing but he withstood the enticements offered him - how do you like that! I won my case but it was a difficult case as I was dealing with a bunch of proven liars - I even had to apply to Court to have their Directors committed to jail for swearing an affidavit when the contents was clearly wrong and they knew it. That aspect of the case was settled on the day when they apologised to the Court.

Anyway my advice is keep well away from MB cars - the Company is not what it used to be - it has lost its good reputation.

Keep safe by keeping away from MB cars as there are other great cars out there. See my expereiences under the heading of Transmission Problems

Best wishes

Philip

Last edited by Philip317; 04-01-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK320, ML550, SL55, GL450
If the car has that many problems, and some of them are cheap fixes mind you, I doubt the previous owners even changed the oils...

Run away and keep looking... no brainer.