SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: PSE or Trunk/boot closer - diagnostic advice needed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R230 SL350 2004
PSE or Trunk/boot closer - diagnostic advice needed

Hi there, first post/thread so be gentle with me. 2004 SL350, all running well. 3 years ago I had a problem with air pressure to the lumber adjustment, which was traced to a split hose, saving me the expensive delights of a PSE pump replacement.
In the last few weeks however, the boot/trunk closer has stopped working, together with the lumbar adjustment, and the rear lights don't flash when locking the car. Central locking & fuel cap release are working fine.
Using advice gleaned from this site, I disconnected and reset the rear battery, and everything came back for a few days, but has now stopped again. This all seems to suggest that the PSE is either faulty or sensing a leek somewhere and shutting down. The biggest problem with all of this is that the sensor thinks the boot/trunk is open (it's definitely latched), so the hood won't come down, just as glorious spring weather has finally reached the UK.
My tame mobile MB guy is coming round next week, but, without looking at the car, he's prepping me for a possible PSE repalcement. I just want to make sure we've covered all the possible options before going down that very expensive road.
From various threads I've dipped into, I'm guessing this is well trodden ground. Can anyone help me to shortcut the process by pointing me to any defintives guides to checking the PSE system before having to replace the pump.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:53 AM

R230 SL350 2004
Ok, well the story so far. Stripped out the PSE pump, and found that although the foam around it was pretty wet, the pump iteslf didn't seem to have any visible damage. With everything open, we tried a few things, and found that the pump kept running for a long time after the keys were put in, suggesting a leak somewhere. By trial and error we found that by switching off the lumbar adjust, the pump shut off normally. So we dried everything out and replaced everything, but with the lumbar adjust off on the control unit.

Trunk puller worked fine, but after a days driving and a few test openings, it stopped again. So I've just done the DIY fix to the boot catch, and need a few hours for the exopy to set. No sign of any damage to the catch before I did the fix though. Great instructions on the site made it a pretty easy job so far...... we shall see.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:03 AM

R230 SL350 2004
Oops, used Araldite as the epoxy, as a) i had some, and b) it's supposed to work with "most plastics". Nicely hardened exoxy is now being very easily picked off the plastic. Anyone in the UK done this that can recommend a brand of plastic epoxy or other glue?