SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: DREADED ABC problems after 20 wheel install on 2003 SL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GT63s
DREADED ABC problems after 20 wheel install on 2003 SL

I just put on brand new wheels and tires. vossen cv1 in graphite.

20x10.5 rear with 285.30.20

20x9.5 front with 255.30.20

I have a major rubbing issues with just my rear driver side, over bumps and hard turns. So i took it back to the tire shop(discount) and the manager said he could not understand as to why only on one side this is happening. So we decided to measure the clearance from ground to the top of the wheel well, both in lowest position and in the highest position. Fronts are equal and the driver rear sits lower by 1.5 inches then the other side in both positions.

SOOO where so i start in fixing this, discount was amazing and ordered me a new tire yoko s line. and suggested i fix suspension before we put it on.

do I

1. just replace that one air strut
2. replace both air struts
3. replace both air struts and rear valve body blled and refill system?

i called deal and they quoted me 4k for just the rear. I know strut masters has a coil over conversion kit but i love the smoothness of the abc and would like to fix it. taking to Indy tomm so lets see what they say?

keep in mind i didnt even notice this issue with the stock 17inch wheels.

thanks

painguy
Old 06-02-2013, 02:21 AM

MB SL500 R230
Originally Posted by painguy
I just put on brand new wheels and tires. vossen cv1 in graphite.

20x10.5 rear with 285.30.20

20x9.5 front with 255.30.20

I have a major rubbing issues with just my rear driver side, over bumps and hard turns. So i took it back to the tire shop(discount) and the manager said he could not understand as to why only on one side this is happening. So we decided to measure the clearance from ground to the top of the wheel well, both in lowest position and in the highest position. Fronts are equal and the driver rear sits lower by 1.5 inches then the other side in both positions.

SOOO where so i start in fixing this, discount was amazing and ordered me a new tire yoko s line. and suggested i fix suspension before we put it on.

do I

1. just replace that one air strut
2. replace both air struts
3. replace both air struts and rear valve body blled and refill system?

i called deal and they quoted me 4k for just the rear. I know strut masters has a coil over conversion kit but i love the smoothness of the abc and would like to fix it. taking to Indy tomm so lets see what they say?

keep in mind i didnt even notice this issue with the stock 17inch wheels.

thanks

painguy
Hi.
Are you sure it's the hydraulics that it is wrong? Lifts the car as many inches on either side or dose the rear lift less on the driver side? If it does lift the some inches then it could be the sensor for height control that is not calibrated or faulty.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:48 AM

2020 GT63s
you are spot on my friend, i was over thinking it. It was a sensor this time.