SL/R230: Garage Door Opener Button Short/works intermittently

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 01:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 SL500 - sold
Garage Door Opener Button Short/works intermittently

Hello All

Recently the garage door opener has not been working well. I press the button, but the LED light does not come on, or it doesn't stay on (i.e. transmit) long enough to transmit a large enough signal to close the garage door. If I adjust the mirror sometimes that enables the opener to work when I press the button, but not always. I think the switch has a short somewhere, or it may be corroded contact points, etc. because the car is 11 years old and has lived in Florida humidity for a good portion of its life.

My question is, how easy/straightforward is it to disassemble the rear view mirror to check this out?

Thanks for any input.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:45 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
Originally Posted by jnice72
Hello All

Recently the garage door opener has not been working well.
Mine stuck in the depressed position so when I started the car and backed out, the garage door was already descending. Fortunately, I realized the situation and stopped but I did have some minor paint damage on the vertical part of the trunk lid. I sprayed the button with WD-40 and that seemed to fix the sticking, but I will be re-programming so as to not use that button.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL500
One of the buttons in my 2003 was intermittent a few years ago. Had dealer remove mirror which I then opened up. Found the flex circuit between the button and the circuit board had a broken trace. Soldered a piece of thin insulated wire between the connection points and had dealer reinstall the mirror. (Didn't want to risk breaking the mirror or windshield doing it myself.) Has been OK since.