SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: '03 SL500 electrical problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 02:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
2003 SL500
'03 SL500 electrical problems

First post here, unfortunately not a happy one.
I have had my SL for over a year now (love the car). As the ABC began exhibiting signs of fatigue and then complete pump/strut failure I called Strutmasters and ordered one of their coilover conversion kits. I have to say I am very pleased with the resulting outcome. So, with that being said, on to the problem.

A couple of weeks after the coilovers were installed I noticed my cigarette lighter would not power my phone charger anymore. After purchasing a new charger I noticed the device was not the problem but rather there was no power going through the lighter.
A closer inspection revealed that I have lost power in most of my center console.
The roof operating mechanism does not work anymore (although the roof can still be opened and closed via the key fob), the gear selector lights do not light up anymore, the power mirrors switch is not operational, the power door locks is not operational.
Comand still has full functionality and seems to be completely unaffected.
I originally figured that the shop might have nicked a wire when they wired the light module control to fix the ABC warning light. However that revealed no troubles. I also removed the center console and was able to determine all cables are intact.
I would think this is not a fuse problem as this covers a large amount of fuses and all affected switches are in the same area.
Does anyone have any ideas as to where to look next?
I would hate to have to take the car in for a full analysis of the wiring harnesses only to discover it was a simple fix.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Any update on this? I wish you the best of luck. Maybe signs of a bad battery/alternator?
Old 07-18-2013, 01:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
2003 SL500
Well, the battery and alternator are fine. Car runs flawlessly and every other electrical system is go. Switching between keyfobs and their respective seat settings adjusts the mirrors automatically, so I know that the wiring is intact; same situation with the vario roof.
I am assuming at this point it has to be a short of some sort since the fuses and relays are definitively not the issue and every cable and connection underneath the center console is also ok.
Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 R230 and 2007 W209
Exclamation '03 SL500 "electrical problems"

You might have some reliable MB shop check your EIS box for faults - since damn near all electronics are routed through it..

Good luck,

rwm
Old 12-09-2015, 08:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c320
electrical issue

Hey, did you ever find out what the problem was>? I'm experiencing the same problem and its driving me nuts! I scanned the vehicle and do not have any faults in any sam modules.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 R230 and 2007 W209
Hi,
MY problem was indeed the EIS switch since nearly EVERTHING is connected via it ! As has been discussed on this section the EIS has caused several of us strange issues throughout the R230 electrical circuits "issues". That is why it is listed near the top in our "Anticipated R230 Issues" listings recently .. seems as the EIS is competing with the ABC system in niggles !

Bottom line .. thoroughly check the EIS first !

Ron