SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: Key Memory

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500
Key Memory

I'm having trouble with the "key" memory. The manual is not very helpful here either. I've tried to set M+1 with one key and M+2 with the other key and expected the seat etc. to switch between the M1 and M2 depending on which key I open the car with.

Nothing happens even if I put the respective keys in the ignition. Whats up? I have of course selected "key dependant" = ON in the steering wheel memory for both keys and the seat settings are diffferent....help!

Any made this feature work???? Please tell.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:17 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 CLK500
had a similar situation, but only with one key (presumably you have the 'keyless go' option; or nothing should happen at all ).

The solution was training the keys individually; by the foreman at the dealer-team. Also, because the driver's seat didn't always 'retreat' properly, they reloaded the seat software into the computer (or something like that).

Basically, after the computer was rebooted; there was never a problem. Oh; the only caution they gave me was to 'not' press the seat memory buttons while the seat is in its automatic mode of returning to the preprogrammed position when you first enter the car.

Hope this helps...

gene

Old 09-04-2003, 04:23 PM

SL500
I don't have keyless go.

I was under the impression that the two keys you get with the car have different identities, like they do with BMWs. The BMW system was always a pain as you had to get the dealer to programme each key.

The manual implies that it should happen anyway, even without Keyless Go.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:59 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 CLK500
i think you are exactly right; though I have keyless go and don't know about the regular system (ask your service rep; they should know all about it).. I do know that when they reprogrammed my computer for the seat memories, they needed me to bring both keys and both key-cards in, so probably that's similar to your BMW experiences (really an issue for service dept.)

good luck!

Old 09-05-2003, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,246 Likes on 2,021 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
You may want to try this...

When programming different keys as in your example, you should program setting M1 for different seat memories into each key (not M1 M2) though you should be able to program three different settings for each key.

On the CL, the seat never moved automatically, but went to the correct position when pressing the corresponding memory button.
I believe that this should be automatic on the SL as I am using keyless go and every time I use the physical key (for valet), the seat moves automatically into the programmed memory setting (of the key) as expected.

Good luck,

Wolfman